News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turbo vs N/A

Started by Lightning, July 06, 2006, 12:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turbo vs N/A

twin-turbo 360
3 (33.3%)
400-stroker (471-496")
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Lightning

well, after remembering the ride in a test-driven SRT-4....I'm pondering wether to go with twin turbos or not..

choice #1: 400-big block -based 471-496" stroker, aluminum heads and inner components

choice #2: 360 Twin turbo, build to last under boost. (10-ish psi)

I'm looking to hit 650-700HP, at least 600 RWHP.

it's gonna see maybe 10% street time, so I'm not worried about street drive-ability. personally, I'm leaning towards the big-inch motor...

(I know i've started quite a few theads lately, but I'm really serious about this, and I'm trying to get as much info as I can)
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Wakko

Forced induction is nice but there is alot of work to do to have it work right.  Guy I know put a turbo on a Porsche and he never did get it right.  Sure it ran right, but the car couldn't handle the temperature increase and would run hot.   Also keep in mind that turbos have lag, which would make your idea of drifting a bit hairier. 

Unless you know how to metal fab your own piping, figure out your fuel requirements and figure out how to meet them, I'd say it's a pipe dream.  Find a Grand National motor and do a transplant.  500 ft/lbs of torque and less weight.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

golden73

There is no way a stock 360 block would be able to handle the power you are looking for. Aftermarket blocks are pretty freakin expensive. For that reason alone I would rule out the 360.

It would be much easier/cheaper/safer to build a big inch stroker.

:Twocents:

defiance

Turbo lag can be minimized, and with skilled throttle control, it's not really a concern...  There are enough people doing turbos now that the documentation you'd need to figure out fuel/timing is READILY available.  But... I would think the big block would be MUCH less expensive and time consuming to get there.  Plus, it would likely have better low-end hp & torque.
What kind of track are you talking about?  If you are talking about drifting, weight might be a factor, too... Though I know nothing about the weight of a 360... if it's light enough, it might be worth looking into... but if the weight is pretty similar (or if you're just drag racing), I'd definitely be leaning big block...

Lightning

mostly drifting and road racing, with the occaisional trip to Pikes Peak.   I was thinking with the big block I could move the engine back about two-three inches for better weight distribution, something that I can't do with the LA motor since the distributor is in the way...

deputycrawford

You could also shed weight with aluminum heads, water pump and housing, billet distributor, as well as the aluminum intake carb and radiator. Have you lifted a turbo lately? Two would be heavy and the piping, intercooler, fuel distribution, blow off valves, hoses..... Well, you get the idea. nOt to mention the packaging of all that stuff into an engine bay. Oh, you might have to work on all that in the future. Now the simplicity and packaging, not to mention the weight difference of the big block might not sound so bad.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Lightning

yeah, if I i'm gonna go with the B stroker motor idea (i'm even starting to consider a fast spinning 383 instead of the stroker 400 now) it's gonna be as many aluminum parts as I can get that will last for awhile before needing rebuilding. (i'm even considering aluminum pistons, rods, and possibly the crank too.)

I'm gonna get the Mopar "B/RB" Engines book, 'cause it has oval track setups in there too, which would be very beneficial and close to what the engine would be essentially used for.   I'm also gonna nab the Mopar 358 Oval Track book as well, in case I go with the Small Block instead.

Chryco Psycho

I just did a 440 on pump gas with a 8 psi boost blower & it runs 10.9s in the 1/4 so far on street tires , we will up the boost to 12 psi & run slicks & expect to get close to if not into the 9s
boost works