News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Newbie - First Charger, '68 R/T

Started by xs29bb1, January 28, 2013, 06:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

He didn't see the bulkhead connector and the hose that routes into it.  He also didn't see the 3 spd wiper motor because it's black.  Not everyone has a good computer monitor or eyesight for that matter :lol:

Looks like you have a nice project starting point :drool5:  Did you get a nice grill to go along with it?  How's the tail end?

Welcome to the group :cheers:

JB

xs29bb1

Here's a pic of the AC vents  (yes the steering wheel is wrong.  Thankfully I have most of the broadcast sheet which includes the steering wheel so I plan to make it right (although I have no idea how to decode the steering wheel number))

xs29bb1

You know I kinda got screwed on the grill.  The guy I bought it from said the grill was good and he showed a pic that looked fine, however he had the license plate on the center of the grill.  When I got it, the grill was great over the head lamps, but underneath the plate it was mangled as heck.

I saw a nice grill for $800, but the guy had already sold it.... so still looking. 

Bob T

Welcome and great 1st post, everyone likes pictures. You're going to tip a lot of cash into this but it will be so worth it at the end  :drool5:
Best site for info in the known world here  :icon_smile_big:
Bit of a fan of Black 68 R/T's here too  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Homerr

That looped rubber hose on the firewall and the fan motor show it as an AC car.

We had a discussion about those wheels a while back when this was up for auction.

xs29bb1

Thanks for all the replies guys. really appreciate the feedback.  Yes, I'm afraid I am going to throw in a few bucks more than I was expecting, I guess that's just how it goes sometimes. 

So any opinions on the wheels?  I was originally thinking of Mag 500s, but if I restore these wheels do you think they'd give a good look or are the 500s better.  I really haven't thought about the wheels too much
to this point as I have SO MUCH WORK before then.  But since there were a couple comments about the wheels, I love to get some opinions...

bill440rt

Triple black, red R/T stripe, Magnum 500's with redlines...    :drool5:  :drool5:     :faint:

But hey, ultimately it's your car!  :cheers:   
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

PocketThunder

Quote from: bill440rt on January 29, 2013, 07:35:22 AM
Triple black, red R/T stripe, Magnum 500's with redlines...    :drool5:  :drool5:     :faint:

But hey, ultimately it's your car!  :cheers:   

:iagree:

Quote from: xs29bb1 on January 28, 2013, 06:44:26 PMFor starters, it's a true triple black R/T (w/ red stripes).

Paint it the original color..   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

charge69

Stroker's right, I have  a good computer monitor but, obviously bad eyesight! Getting old might have something to do with it also!! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

xs29bb1

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 29, 2013, 09:32:34 AM

Oh, I'm definitely painting it the original color.  Actually w/ most of the broadcast sheet (which we found in the headliner?) I'm going to try to make the car as correct as possible.

hawkeye

were the woodgrain shifter knobs available in 68?

Homerr

Oh, and welcome xs29bb1!

Here is a great reference if you haven't ran across it already.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

HeavyFuel

Quote from: xs29bb1 on January 29, 2013, 10:26:22 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on January 29, 2013, 09:32:34 AM

Oh, I'm definitely painting it the original color.  Actually w/ most of the broadcast sheet (which we found in the headliner?) I'm going to try to make the car as correct as possible.

Headliner?   That seems weird....first time I heard of one there.

6pkrtse

Welcome & sweet optioned out Charger. I need to get me another 68' one of these days.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

xs29bb1

Hi guys - been a long time.  The resto is progressing.  After 8 months, body and paint are 95% done.  We have most of the parts we need, powder coating and plating are done, engine is rebuilt.  Assembly should begin in a couple of weeks.  I'll post picks over the days/weeks ahead to walk through what's been done.... leading up to a freshly painted black R/T!

moparfan53

Quote from: xs29bb1 on September 22, 2013, 11:31:05 AM
Hi guys - been a long time.  The resto is progressing.  After 8 months, body and paint are 95% done.  We have most of the parts we need, powder coating and plating are done, engine is rebuilt.  Assembly should begin in a couple of weeks.  I'll post picks over the days/weeks ahead to walk through what's been done.... leading up to a freshly painted black R/T!

Glad to hear you are making progress! :2thumbs:  Looking forward to more pics. Did you find a good grille?

:cheers:

moparfan53

Quote from: hawkeye on January 29, 2013, 10:38:04 AM
were the woodgrain shifter knobs available in 68?

I am pretty sure they were not used in '68. Most '69s had woodgrain but some had the '68 style chrome. Fortunately that is easy to change.

:cheers:

xs29bb1

OK, here we go.  I'll do my best to keep this in chronological order for the most part.  We cut out the L and R quarters, inner and outer wheel wells, and trunk floor and replaced them w/ new metal.  Here are a few pics:

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Mopar Nut

Awesome progress, keep the pictures come.

:popcrn:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

xs29bb1

I mistakenly posted photos to this thread as opposed to the correct "68 R/T Restoration" thread.  I copied those photos over there and going forward all photos will be posted on that thread.  Sorry for the confusion...