News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SUPERMAN RETURNS

Started by chargerboy69, July 04, 2006, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerboy69

I was not sure who else has seen this. I thought the movie was great. I could have done without the superkid subplot. But looking past that, I thought it was great. Routh was amazing. I can not wait for the sequel. . .
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Rack

Yep it was great.

I was surprised at how well Routh did. And at certain angles he kind of looked like Reeve. He even sometimes sounded like him.

They've even got a nice set up for the next one, since all those crystals are now floating around in space.

volk68

Have not seen it yet, but I will :yesnod:  I wanted to go see it last night, but took my daughters to see Cars instead...I'm glad I did.  Great movie :yesnod:

JimShine

I saw it last night and I was very, very happy with it. Best movie I have seen in a very long time. Routh had the mannerisims down cold. But at points he reminded me of a love child between Chris Reeve and Chris from the Sopranos (Mike Imperioli).

Some interesting things I noticed in this one.

They really pushed the Jesus parrallel in this one. From the term 'savior' being used,Joe-El's message taken from Superman 1 They can be a great people, Kal-El — they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you — my only son. There is a non-gorey scene that has him brutially beaten and is left for dead, then ascends into the sky arms outstretched like hanging on a cross. The parallel was always in previous versions, but I thought it was blatant in this one.

Another item I really thought was interesting is regular people were made heroes in this version. Usually we see mortals scrambling waiting for Superman to do something. In this version we see heroic regular people.

RD

I liked it, cannot wait for the next one!  they did leave a lot for future episodes.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rack

The only thing I didn't like about this one was when Perry White was talking to his staff, telling them what questions to ask superman, he said, "Does he still stand for Truth? Justice?"

They left out "The american way?"

Probably just being PC, but still, would of been nice if it were in there.

Mike DC

I thought it was a great remake/sequel/re-envisioning.  One of the best re-(anything)s of an old TV show/movie series in a long time.  For once the people involved with the new show seemed to really understand which aspects of the original stuff do & don't need changing.  (I mean, how many other directors would have kept the same old-style "Superman" opening credits like that?  Talk about opening the show with a retro buzz . . . )

---------------------------------------------------

I didn't like the idea of Lois Lane having a kid though, regardless of who the father is.  In a few years' hindsight I suspect that's gonna go down as this movie's one big mistake.

I'm not trying to preach about single-parent families in real life here, but I just think it's out whack for the characters and the "Superman" franchise.  Those are idealized characters who are supposed to be living fairly "idealized" lives.  And Lois Lane's character also just seems a bit to independent & post-femimist for having a kid without being older & married first. 
The whole thing feels kind of forced-in just for the sake of a few plot twists.

RD

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 06, 2006, 12:40:06 AM
...The whole thing feels kind of forced-in just for the sake of a few plot twists.

good observation Mike, I would have never looked at it that way. Very interesting...
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

chargerboy69

Quote from: Rack on July 05, 2006, 03:47:10 PM
The only thing I didn't like about this one was when Perry White was talking to his staff, telling them what questions to ask superman, he said, "Does he still stand for Truth? Justice?"

I did not care much for that either. The writers did say is was basically for PC crap.They did not want to offend anyone in another country watching the movie. They said Superman is the worlds hero. Not just an American hero. What a bunch of PC crap. If the writers happen to read this comment, put "The American way" back in. :patriot:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ponch ®

Quote from: chargerboy69 on July 06, 2006, 09:58:54 AM
Quote from: Rack on July 05, 2006, 03:47:10 PM

I did not care much for that either. The writers did say is was basically for PC crap.They did not want to offend anyone in another country watching the movie. They said Superman is the worlds hero. Not just an American hero. What a bunch of PC crap. If the writers happen to read this comment, put "The American way" back in. :patriot:

:yesnod: also noticed that his costume isnt red and blue anymore...its burgundy and blue.

Why do I get the feeling there will never be a new Captain America movie?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

JimShine

Yeah, the new colors remind me of the 'bad' Superman in Superman 3.

RD

I thought they made his suit that way to make it look more high tech and of material not known to earth.  so that the scenes where he is shot by that gatlin gun looks more realistic.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Goldfinger71

I saw it I liked it as well!I also saw the new Spiderman trailer!It is going to be AWESOME! :yesnod:
Hey Ponch,
A few weeks back MSN.com had a breakdown of the best and worst superhero movies.They also gave info on basilcally all the superhero movies that are going to come out and I think they said something about Captain America.
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

69_se_ron

I thought the scene where he lowered the runaway Mustang to the ground was a perfect nod to the Action Comics No. 1 cover:
Check out my progress pics at:<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732403

Ponch ®

Quote from: JimShine on July 05, 2006, 03:19:37 PM

They really pushed the Jesus parrallel in this one. From the term 'savior' being used,Joe-El's message taken from Superman 1 They can be a great people, Kal-El — they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you — my only son. There is a non-gorey scene that has him brutially beaten and is left for dead, then ascends into the sky arms outstretched like hanging on a cross. The parallel was always in previous versions, but I thought it was blatant in this one.

Just remembered that scene where the globe a top of the Daily Planet building falls and Superman flies under it, catches it and then carries it. "World on his shoulders" symbolisms dont get more obvious than that.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West