News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the combo for a short deck 471?

Started by deputycrawford, July 14, 2006, 06:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deputycrawford

This site has had me thinking about the short deck 400 block and doing the 451 stroker. I read some things from 471 magnum last night and wondered, what is the bore and stroke combo of the 471? Oh, and what length is the rod in the combo? It would seem to have a decent rod ratio for a street combo, around a 1.6 to 1. Where do I get this combo and is it more difficult to do than the 451 combo with the stock steel 440 crank. Wht is the difference in the two rotational assemblies?
Very Very Interesting. :scope: something worth looking into.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

471_Magnum

Quote from: Ranger Max on July 14, 2006, 10:39:01 AM
I remember an old post on the subject
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,427.0.html

Yeah. That pretty much covers it.

In the last few years, the availability of aftermarket stroker cranks have created a few more option. The offset ground factory RB crank is not necessarily the most economical or effective way to build a stroker anymore.

Aftermarket stroker cranks allow for use of Mopar-style rods, but there are trade-offs (clearance, rod cost, weight, increased bearing surface). The subject is probably ripe for a fresh debate.

The 471 vs 451 is an easy call. If you are already planning to upgrade to aftermarket H-beam rods and aluminum heads, go with the 471. Cost is pretty close since the less expensive BBC-style rods offset much of the expense of the additional crank work. The 471 pretty much requires aluminum heads due to the compression ratio if you want to run pump gas.

If you want to use stock cast-iron heads and stock rods, the 451 is cheaper by a pretty good chunk of change.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

deputycrawford

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am thinking the low deck will allow me to use my intake, engine accessories, and brackets. I will also use my existing headers, 1 7/8 ceramic and X-pipe system, and have the same hood clearance. A 471 is only missing 22 cubes from an RB 493 and I won't have to buy additional parts. I am planning to go with H-beam rods and aluminum heads and keep my .575 lift cam in the new engine. I should easily be in the mid 11's and not have to cage a numbers car. Hell, If I remember correctly, it was one family owned until 2001. I shouldn't start hacking it up now with tubs and cage. The 471 sounds like my ticket. I will even paint it up in the stock blue including the intake and all. As one magazine said; it will look like stock and go like stink.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

dodge freak

Why are you so worry about having too much power ? You could always put a smaller carb on it and or a throttle stop to slow it down, right ? I believe NASCAR uses a restiter plate to slow the cars down on some tracks, they don't making them swap motors.

deputycrawford

Dodge Freak. I just want to have enough power to go 11.50's and not have to run a hood scoop. I believe I will build the 471 because the low deck looks like the stock block and all my accessories will work. My intake, exhaust and hood clearance will be the same. Too much power is just enough so I'm not worried there. :angel: I will be good on the street. I never have and never will street race but I do "put it to the wood" once in awhile. I can pass tech at the track like a stock looking car and run 11.50's. That will get some attention. :icon_smile_cool:

andyf

I ran a 470 low deck with Edelbrock heads in my '65 Coronet for awhile.  It would run 115 mph at the track but with the 17 inch rims it was slow out of the hole so my best ET was in the low 12's.  With some good tires and suspension tuning it would've gone 11.50.

That was a great engine.  With the Eddy heads, Perf RPM manifold, Eddy AVS carb and HP manifolds it made 474 hp at the rear tires on the chassis dyno.  That was with the Mopar Performance .528 solid cam which was a great street cam.

I sold that motor a couple of years ago and the Coronet has been sitting in the shop since.  I have a new 512 low deck that should be finished up this summer for the car and maybe I'll get back to the track.

The 470 low deck is a great combo.  When I did mine I had to use some custom parts but these days there are cranks, rods and pistons available off the shelf.

deputycrawford

cool Andyf. I have a custom Engle I am running. I would use it again. It is  .560/.575 lift and dur @ .050 is 245/253 with a 108* lsa. I hope with the tuned combo I could go pretty fast and drive it to work also. My sergeant heres it coming and goes the other way. He thinks I should keep it off the road. I am such a rebel.....lol :icon_smile_evil: