News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door Swings out 90 degrees ?

Started by 73Charger, June 30, 2006, 10:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73Charger

My driver side door has always done this. there is nothing catching it from going out all the way perpindicular. Can someone help me out with what I am missing or maybe isnt hooked up right?  I do well with pictures  ;)
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

Drop Top

73Charger

ahh - so its all one piece? I thought there may be some kind of "catch" that I was missing.  I must have one of those frankentein setups where someone put the hinges on upside down and backwards and two passenger side hinges ::)   :P 
Are hinges expensive?
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing

twilt

In 73 there were 2 different style lower hinges used.  The earlier unit has a coil spring, lever, and roller. Typically, those items deteriorate/wear and fall out. The later 73`s used a simplified lower hinge that uses an S-spring. Sometimes that spring rusts/breaks. The S-spring type lower hinges were used thru 1978. I usually find them on 75 and later Cordobas and Chargers. Both styles are interchangable as far as fit and function. All 71-78 B bodies used the same upper hinges. The hinges that Year one sells are the 71-73 units.  (they list them as 71-72 b body)  My Yr1 catalog shows a full set is $171 +  a $150 core charge .  Because of the steep core charge, i usually grab the front hinges off of all the 71-72 4 door satellites and coronets that i run across in junkyards.

73Charger

Geesh - I dont have that kind of money for something that still works right now  :-( I noticed mine has a little piece of metal in the hinge that can swing out when the door is out, and if it goes out all the way it keeps the door open, but there is no spring or anything there so it makes sense hearing your statements, that my springs are gone.  is there anyway to just replace them?  hinge works fine otherwise.

twilt

Chances are that you are missing more than just a spring. Usually the spring falls out because something else (roller/lever) failed. I dont know of any supplier for the levers, springs, rollers.  If you are wanting to stay low budget, I`d just recommend hitting a junkyard and grabbing a set of lower hinges off a 74-78 B body with the S-spring set-up. Don`t forget to check them for wear before removing them.  I bought a new set from YR1 and they are nice. I believe that SMS is their supplier.