News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clicking and Knocking in 318

Started by 66charger73, June 25, 2006, 10:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66charger73

Hey Guys,

After blowing up my 318 about 6 weeks ago I finally got it going again and put a new cam to go with the new crank.  :icon_smile_big: It was wet out, I've got a 2.71 open rear, don't ask. I got the the mopar perf 761 cam and lifters and comp 911 springs and the thing started and is running alright, except for a clicking sound at idle all the way up through the rpm's and a good knocking when revved up real good under load. I don't believe its an ignition knock and the clicking definitely sounds like a bad lifter but they are brand new, so i just wanted some input. I do have an oil leak also that seems to be the intake manifold front end seal because theres oil on top of the intake and timing cover but nothing any lower on the engine. Any advice, tip, ideas, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                                                                                  Andrew

RallyeMike

Hard to say without being there. How is your oil pressure?

Take a steel bar or rod, hold it against your ear, and place it against the motor is various spots. That will narrow down the location. Just be carefull bot to jam the end of the bar into the fan  :icon_smile_dead:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

dodge freak

If you have headers it might be leaking, sounds just like a lifter sometimes.

66charger73

I don't have headers and manifolds are tight so when I pull the intake manifold I'll take a look at the lifter that seemed to be making noise. I pulled a valve cover and just cranked the engine without the ignition on and one lifter keeps knocking or clicking when you stop turning the motor and I put my hand on it and I felt it knocking or expanding or whatever its doing. Thanks for the help and I'll let ya know what happens.