News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C blowing white flakes all out of every vent!

Started by timmycharger, June 17, 2024, 03:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

I may have posted on this before but it might have been another forum, not sure.  I have a Classic Auto air perfect fit A/C system in my Charger that I installed around 2013 or 2014.  The first few years I had it working it was great, blew cold like it should.

The last 3 years or so I have been having issues where as soon as I put on the A/C the interior gets covered in white dust/flakes. After running for about 5 minutes, the flakes disappear but then after a few days I'll try it again and its the same thing.

I just stopped using it for the last couple of years but finally I have the ambition to get in there and figure out what the issue is.

I just got off the phone with Classic Auto air and was told that this was an issue early on with the older A/C units like mine since it comes down to the unit not being level against the firewall. I have to re read my instructions but it has to tilt towards the firewall in order for the condensate line to work properly.

The tech is saying that my evaporator is sitting in water and once it dries out, it is flaking off and that is what is flying out of the vents. He says re positioning it and running it through a few times should fix it.

He remembers getting calls about this around 2014 with people saying the same thing and even going so far as sending the units back where they were dissected and concluded that the coils are fine.

I know what I will be doing!!! can't wait to use my A/C again!

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

timmycharger

timmycharger

Well.. the head and shoulders shampoo didn't work lol..

The tech at classic auto air made it seem so easy to correct this issue by just loosening the bolt in the firewall and the brackets and tilting the unit so the condensate drains properly?

I have been battling this for a week and I can physically put the unit in the correct position and watch the remaining water drip out of the tube on the bottom but when I use the bracket locations per directions it just falls in the same position (level) which is no good.

I will try to get some pics but I ended up re working the provided bracket to get the right side of the A/C box higher than before and was able to get the desired slant towards the firewall I was looking for.

I just now need to figure out the bracket on the other side (above console) to line up or possibly drill a new hole in the unit.

THe good news is that during all my tests, the A/C after being filled 3 years ago, still blows super cold! Almost there!

The tech said that the current units they sell fixed this issue, mine is from over 10 years ago.

Kern Dog

Dwight is the name of the guy at Classic Auto Air that I have spoken with. He is very helpful and tolerant of some really basic questions!

timmycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 11, 2024, 06:15:30 PMDwight is the name of the guy at Classic Auto Air that I have spoken with. He is very helpful and tolerant of some really basic questions!

No wonder it was so hard to get someone on the phone there, he IS the tech department haha! Agreed on him being helpful and I'll add very patient with my questions.

timmycharger

I was able to bolt everything back in and get the angle I was looking for. You can sort of see in pics (sorry for the quality) that I had to re drill a hole in the fire wall lower than where I originally had drilled it. I had to use a rubber plug to cover the old hole but its barely noticeable. (see circled pic). 

I included a pic of the re worked bracket allowing the unit to go as high as possible now.

I am feeling pretty confident this fixed the issue as I let it idle up to temp with the A/C blasting, went around the block and parked it.  Looked underneath and I have water now dripping from the tube which I never had previously.

I'll know for sure when I try it again after it has been sitting but this is promising.

armor64

that is the only puddle under a charger im happy to see, good job man.