News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VERY odd - car will not start after hot, then turns if I let it sit....

Started by AJ1966, May 28, 2006, 12:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ1966

This just happened recently.  I tried to check out my power pack for my gauges in my '66 charger; I pulled it, and tried to do a few tests to see why my electroluminescense doesn't work.  To make a long story short, after I pulled it out to inspect, and put everything back, the car would not start.  It didn't even TRY to turn over.  No click, no nothing.  My battery is new, and is fine.  However, if a few hours have passed, I can come back to it, and the car would fire right up, not missing a beat.  A few things to consider: the wiring harness is a MESS overall, and my father also installed a fuel cut switch to keep the car from being stolen.  If you flip the toggle under the dash, the car will not get fuel, and it will not turn over.  Somehow, when I was playing with the power pack, I must have touched something.  It seemed as if the car grounded out or something was loose...........but I did not touch ANYTHING.  If I were to come back to the car a few hours later, without altering anything, it would start again.  I'm scared because I can drive the car fine, but after it's been running, I try to start it again, and nothing happens at ALL.  I have absolutely no idea why this happens.  I don't touch anything, just give the car time, and it will run normally again.  :icon_smile_dead:  I have no clue what causes this, and how to fix it.  Does anyone have an idea?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This car has been turnkey for 20 years, and now I don't trust it.  :-\

EDIT:  Could it be the starter?  Maybe it's on it's way out?  It has always been right under the exhaust manifold....maybe the heat finally got to it.  It's not shielded,  I always said to myself, I wonder how it took all that heat coming onto it.  :-X

Chryco Psycho

squeakfinder

Make sure it's in park when you try to start it from outside the car or neutral if it's a four speed. Had a car take off on me once... :blush2:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

nh_mopar_fan

Starter would've been my guess. If it is the starter, you can go with the shield.

When I had my Super Coupe, the headers baked the starter. I went with a high torque starter and never had a problem again.

RAWPWR

My experience with my 440 was..I would have a hard time starting the car back up after shutting it off. Like getting gas or something, but it would turn over slowly. I would have to wait a bit then it would turn over correctly and start. Your trouble sounds more like a neutral safety switch. I would try moving the shifter around when it happens again or even by passing the switch, but as someone else stated also try shorting the solenoid on the firewall to see if it will turn the engine over..
PS..thanks Troy for the spell check..what a life saver
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota