News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Magnum 500 comparisons

Started by lloyd3, July 17, 2021, 01:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

My '68 R/T is still wearing the 14-inch (by what... 5 1/2-inch?) Magnum 500s it (should have) came with, back in the summer of 1968. It is my understanding only the Hemi's got the 15-inch wheels, correct?

My question is this, what do I gain by going with the 7-inch wide, 15-inch versions? Clearly my tire choices go way up, I'll also have to change the gearing in the transmission to make the speedo correct. Any other intangibles?  It would lift the car a bit and my tires wouldn't be exactly the same all-around anymore (60 series on the back, 70 series on the front). The stance will change and the usual tire clearance issues will crop up, of course, but I'm not going wild there (so that's not a major concern). What am I missing here?

WHEEL VINTIQUES seem to be the only ones that make the all chrome 54 Series rims I'd be interested in (I'd clearly want all chrome), however, online reviews about quality control are very poor. From shopping around a bit, it looks like they may be the only major vendor. Is there somebody else I'd want to consider?

My present rims are getting fairly tired and my tires are something like 23-years old.  It's probably time to make a change.

Mytur Binsdirti

For a different look, you could go for this....

or this....

Worker Bee

A 225/70/14 and a 245/60/15 are basically the same height and circumference, so there would be no need to change the speedometer gear in the trans.

John_Kunkel

15X7 Magnum 500's with 275-60 rears and 235-60 fronts will give you a nice stance with no clearance problems. Speedo pinion change is no big deal.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike DC

23yo tires on a car that nice?  Damn.  

(insert safety lecture here)  

I think the factory's 15-inch wheel choice was motivated by the deep oil pans & skid plates on the Hemis (and 440-6 barrels).  They also used extra little spacers under the front bumpstops on those cars.

The stock F70-15 tires (for a Hemi '68 Charger) were right about 27 inches tall.  The recommended modern equivalent is 215/70r15.

Today most of the hobby runs wider tires than the factory did.  The fronts will often rub the frame rail (just rear-ward of the upper A-arm).  When the steering is getting near full lock, the inside tire rubs the frame rail before steering reaches the hard stops.   It's not a big deal but it's something to be aware of.  

BTW, here's an easy tire calculator that compares two different sizes:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

lloyd3

Mike:

Appreciate the tire size comparison info. That should be very helpful.  The current tires might not be 23-years old, perhaps only 19 or 20 (can't clearly remember, unfortunately) not that it makes much difference.  Sadly, that was the price one paid in order to retain an artifact such as this over the years. How many folks are there here (& elsewhere) that were forced to sell their "favorite" cars due to more-pressing family (health & relationship) needs caused by the usual financial issues?  As one "grows-up" and assumes bigger and ever-more demanding responsibilities (houses, kids, & real work comes to mind) these cars begin to take a back-seat to other (& yes...more critical) needs and issues. I spent much of the last 15-years wondering just how many more years I'd actually get to hang around, let alone getting to keep this old unit.  Spending any real money on it then was simply out of the question.  The chopping block would have followed very shortly thereafter.  Keeping it clean and using it very selectively (and prudently) were about all I could hope for. Fast forward to now...good health, an empty nest, and even retirement looms!  How this old car fits into my "new" world is now a real question.  I can't go wild just yet, but I have real hope for some more good times with it now. More than I've had for a very long time.

Wingnut426

Just so you know, the aftermarket Magnun 500 wheels are patterned from the Ford Boss 302 wheels. They have chrome spokes where as the Mopar wheels have a satin finished spoke. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

stripedelete

Quote from: lloyd3 on July 17, 2021, 01:22:19 PM

WHEEL VINTIQUES seem to be the only ones that make the all chrome 54 Series rims I'd be interested in (I'd clearly want all chrome), however, online reviews about quality control are very poor. From shopping around a bit, it looks like they may be the only major vendor. Is there somebody else I'd want to consider

Good luck with the quality thing.  Here's my experience:

I purchased mine from Coker Tire.   I went with 15x6 and 15x8.   The 15x6 were beautiful.   The 15x 8's ?   Not so much.Coker sent me another pair of 15x8's.  Same issue.  I drove over to Summit.  Looked a 6 or 8 rims(Wheel Vintiques) No luck.

Called Coker back and they said bring the 15x8's in on my next commute to Atlanta, since I would driving by.

Coker actually walked me into the warehouse and told me to take my time and find the best pair of 15x8s, even if I had to open every box.  I found two, but they didn't match the quality of 15x6's, but I wouldn't consider them "blems" either. 

Came away with two things:
1.  Fewer people run 15x6's so mine were probably older stock and likely American made and  8's were probably sourced off shore.
2.  Coker understands customer service and has earned my loyalty.

Mike DC

BTW, if you just wanna move up to 15" wheel without changing the overall tire size much, you could use a 215/65r15.  It's about 26 inches tall, like the original F70-14s were back in the day.  The OEMs kept using that size into the 21st century so it should be easy to get for a while.  

The 235/60r15 is another popular one for muscle cars.  It's a little over 26" tall.  It's ideally suited for a 15x8 rim but it's not bad on a 15x7.  (If you wanna get a good look at this size on a Charger, they used it on the General Lees in the 2005 movie remake.  The rims were 15x7.)      

lloyd3

Stripdelete: I was afraid of that. Quality control on so-many aftermarket replacement parts these days is abysmal. Maybe I'll stick with 14-inch and just get two 14x 7s for the back, assuming those are still available?  

Mytur: If the Magnum 500s don't work out, the painted steel wheels with the dog dishes would be my next choice.

lloyd3

Wheel Vintiques is claiming that all production now occurs here in the good 'ole US of A.

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/wheels/muscle/magnum-500.html

Maybe....

Charger1970

Discount Tire has a fantastic tire size calculator on their website. You can plug in two different sizes and compare specs.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Nacho-RT74

255/60-15 are 27" height. They fit perfect on 7" rims
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

lloyd3

Nacho: Thankyou for that confirmation. I'm probably going to go with 245-60-14s on a gently used pair of older Ford 14x7 500s. I'll keep 225s up front on two of the better factory 5 1/2 inch rims. In keeping with my lifetime habit of doing more with less, slightly imperfect defines this car.  It is a driver after all.

Nacho-RT74

forgott to add the pic... 15x7 Rallyes with 255/60-15 all around. Not a 2nd gen thought

I think 6T9_Charger got his 69 gen with 255/60-15 all around too on 15x7 Magnums for long time, but I think he changed to 15x8 steelies with hubcaps still on 255/60-15 recently

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

6bblgt

245/60/14s are TOO short for an intermediate sized "muscle car" please reconsider  :scratchchin:  make it EASY & run 225/70/14s all around on your 5-1/2" ROAD wheels

lloyd3

6bblgt:  Hmmm...I already am running 225/70/14s all around. You're saying that the profile isn't tall enough in the 60 series tires? Since I'll be needing front tires as well, what pairs best with the 245s? The other option would be 15 inch rims on the back.

Nacho-RT74

On the metric numeration 60 series is of course lower than 70

The profile number is the % of the witdth which makes the height for the sidewall.

So being both 225 of course 60% is less than 70%

moparstuart

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 21, 2021, 03:25:19 PM
245/60/14s are TOO short for an intermediate sized "muscle car" please reconsider  :scratchchin:  make it EASY & run 225/70/14s all around on your 5-1/2" ROAD wheels
im running 225-70 14's on my spyders   fil the wheel well and ride great i love them    
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

6bblgt

Quote from: moparstuart on July 22, 2021, 09:35:01 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on July 21, 2021, 03:25:19 PM
im running 225-70 14's on my spyders   fil the wheel well and ride great i love them    

agreed!  :drool5: :icon_smile_big: