News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

carter afb tuning

Started by 73-charger-383, April 25, 2020, 08:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

I've got an old weber/carter afb carb that I rebuilt to throw on my charger, but i'm having issues tuning it.  It's a 750 cfm carb (pretty much a edelbrock 1407).  At idle/part throttle it runs fine - but when I got to wide open throttle it will bog to the point that I could kill the engine if I held it.  - I know that 750 is probably too big for my engine (it basically a stock 383 from a 68 newport) which I swapped out the 2 barrel for this four - and put on headers/dual exhaust.  - I'm swapping cams/switching heads soon, so i figured i'd use the 750 at that point.  For now I just want to be able to burn around town some with that carb.
  So -- it's not backfiring or anything when it goes WOT, so i'm assuming that i'm just dumping too much fuel and it's bogging down.  Are my issues more related to the springs being too stiff, or do it need to swap out the secondary jets? 

RallyeMike

I might suggest that you read the plugs before assuming it's too much gas. It could also be too little, which could point to an issue outside the carb.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BSB67

Quote from: RallyeMike on April 25, 2020, 09:41:18 AM
I might suggest that you read the plugs before assuming it's too much gas. It could also be too little, which could point to an issue outside the carb.

This.  And, I suspect there is something wrong in your rebuild.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

73-charger-383

Well, I'm basically a three year old. Dissatisfied with the possibility that I could have screwed up the rebuild, I decided to do the cam swap and switch heads today. So in goes the comp cams 268h and the 915s. - but for the record the plugs were pretty black.....