News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6 pack and air conditioning

Started by 70 sublime, April 15, 2020, 08:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

I know it was never a factory option on a Charger
I am just rounding up some parts when I see them for my 70 Charger project
My car is a factory air car and I have never had a working A/C car before and thought it might be worth a try

Now this spring I have seen 2 different ads in the Ontario classifieds with a 6 pack set up for sale has got me to thinking

Anybody have a 6 pack and A/C that works and they like it ?
( other than that fake green 70 Charger  :icon_smile_big: )

Would any of the after market A/C set ups have a smaller pump that mounts on the car engine that would clear the factory style air cleaner ?

If not is there a different air cleaner set up that would work ?
Could you just use 3 small air cleaners instead ?

Yes I am bored
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

krops cars

I went with classic auto air up dated hoses and pump with original box. Everything fit nice. I had it cooling reel cold with out the windows in the car on a humid day. Air cleaner fit nice no cutting.

b5blue

Bill has 6BBL A/C in his car. I used the Classic Auto Air install kit that has all new components for B Body that had factory air. It replaces entire system and controls yet feeds all 5 original vents. Modern servo controlled doors/valves and modern compressor I love me some A/C!  :lol:

cdr

They also have a compressor set up that mounts the compressor bellow the alt, but you have to run an electric fuel pump.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemi68charger

I had a 6bbl on my 71 4bbl auto car with a/c.. Had to notch the air cleaner base to fit, I was young.. if I was to ever do it again, I would get the unit Charlie mentioned with the compressor under the alternator so you don't really see it.. But as eluded to, you would have to have an electric fuel pump for it.

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

jefferson

At least fuel is cheap ATM
6 pack with airco! 😁

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

chargerbr549

Another option I saw years ago in a magazine was a 70 RT Challenger with a 440 that had the factory RV2 compressor on it and he used a Corvette Tri-power aircleaner for the 68-69 427 Corvette. If I remember correctly with this setup you need to run the 3 speed wiper motor since the 2 speed motor will hit the back of the air cleaner.

70 sublime

Quote from: cdr on April 15, 2020, 07:27:44 PM
8 pack with air

Under that hood looks like something you added on some stuff then added on some more stuff then added on some more stuff ....

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I don't really want to cut a hole in my hood unless there is a big wide belt sticking up through it    :icon_smile_tongue:

PS did you take the hood springs off because the hole took a lot of rigidity out of the hood and might make it bend ?

70 sublime

Quote from: chargerbr549 on April 15, 2020, 07:43:56 PM
Another option I saw years ago in a magazine was a 70 RT Challenger with a 440 that had the factory RV2 compressor on it and he used a Corvette Tri-power aircleaner for the 68-69 427 Corvette. If I remember correctly with this setup you need to run the 3 speed wiper motor since the 2 speed motor will hit the back of the air cleaner.

I already have the three speed wiper motor  :2thumbs:

cdr

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 15, 2020, 08:35:16 PM
Quote from: cdr on April 15, 2020, 07:27:44 PM
8 pack with air

Under that hood looks like something you added on some stuff then added on some more stuff then added on some more stuff ....

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I don't really want to cut a hole in my hood unless there is a big wide belt sticking up through it    :icon_smile_tongue:

PS did you take the hood springs off because the hole took a lot of rigidity out of the hood and might make it bend ?

LOL, lots of wiring & stuff there for sure, the hood was an expensive weak piece of junk even before I cut it up, when you have Headlight relays , ignition relays, A/C relays, electric fan controler,Stack EFI, return fuel system, crank case vent system with oil catch can, Line lock, its a Cluster mess !! I might hide some of the EFI wiring but the car was built to drive & I do drive it :)

Ghoste

I think there are quite a few Six Packs and air conditioners that have been combined, especially since the modern compressors became available.  Car guys have a knack for making things work that the oem's just couldn't.

timmycharger

Although I have yet to charge the AC system, I have a sixpack and AC set up in my car. Classic Auto Air setup from about 10 years ago. My car was not originally equipped with AC, I just added the vents in the dash.  :Twocents:

70 sublime

Quote from: timmycharger on April 16, 2020, 06:08:58 AM
Although I have yet to charge the AC system, I have a sixpack and AC set up in my car. Classic Auto Air setup from about 10 years ago. My car was not originally equipped with AC, I just added the vents in the dash.  :Twocents:

So the compressor and all the pipe work cleared the factory air cleaner with out cutting anything ?

timmycharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 16, 2020, 08:26:10 AM
Quote from: timmycharger on April 16, 2020, 06:08:58 AM
Although I have yet to charge the AC system, I have a sixpack and AC set up in my car. Classic Auto Air setup from about 10 years ago. My car was not originally equipped with AC, I just added the vents in the dash.  :Twocents:

So the compressor and all the pipe work cleared the factory air cleaner with out cutting anything ?

Yes, it fit underneath, the air cleaner assembly I have has a notch cut out near the compressor, I may have massaged it a bit more for clearance but don't remember.  I DO remember notching the back where you cant see to clear the 2 speed wiper motor.  I also cut a section of the front to clear my MSD Pro Billet distributor but since swapped that out for a stock type.  Here is a pic from another angle.

krops cars