News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

taking my car to the track

Started by 73chargercali, May 03, 2006, 07:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargercali

today i'll take my car down to the track and run it i'm hopeing for high 14 sec range but i know its a tired engine. the car has a 440, with a torker 440 intake, eddy 750 carb, electronic distributor, blaster 2 coil, stock heads, carter 120gph fuel pump, headers into 3" tubes to flowmaster super delta 40s to turndowns.

trans is a tci street fighter trans up to 450hp
rearend is a strange dana 60 with 3.54 ratio and their limited slip.
the car has not really been lightened so i figure somewhere in the two ton weight range is accurate.
the car has some pickup but the engine has 82,000 miles on it never been rebuilt and my guess is 250 hp approximatly.

who thinks i have a chance? i'll post my time tonight or tomorrow if the car holds together.

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

mopar_head

mopar muscle!!!

mopar_head

..................................nvm.................. :rotz:
mopar muscle!!!

73chargercali

ok so it ran like crap first run was 18.5 secs but i left late and didn't go full throttle then #2 the engine started pinging so i had to back off the timing and calibrated the carb the third and final pass was a whopping 16.217 with no burn out and quite a bit of wheel spin in first 60'. what i learned about the car is the trans needs more cooling since it slipped like hell when i shifted into third. car ran cool which is a major plus. what i have on my to do list for next run in june is nos maybe new msd box, extra 2qt trans pan and rtf trans fluid, and bring a credit cardjavascript:void(0);
flame next time so i can buy racing fuel. did the hp calculater and it said i had 215hp (pathetic)

what does nvm stand for? i was thinking not very much as in chance of running 14s.

mikepmcs

i think he meant NeVer Mind cause the question he asked previous was in your first post(ie:  440 engine) ???

could have just deleted the post but i'm thinking he's trying to up his post numbers, doooh!  kinda like i'm doing now.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

greenpigs

What was the mph?

That will give you a better idea of what it would run if it didn't spin the tires so much.

I would think high 14's are more than possible with that combo.

What size rear tires do you use?

If the trans slipped going into third I doubt it needs more fluid, sounds like it needs rebuilt.
:Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

dodge freak

Did you adjust the kickdown band? Its on the drivers side you loosen the nut and back it way off, then turn the adjustment screw until tight, then turn it back out about 2 1/4- 2 1/2 turns then tighten the nut making sure the screw does not move.  It should at least help.

RallyeMike

I was able to wring a 14 out of my bone-stock 74 440 Charger w/ 3.55 sure-grip and plain old BFG tires, so you should be able to tune to it once you figure out the trans issue.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Plumcrazy

Quote from: dodge freak on May 06, 2006, 09:26:30 AM
Did you adjust the kickdown band? Its on the drivers side you loosen the nut and back it way off, then turn the adjustment screw until tight, then turn it back out about 2 1/4- 2 1/2 turns then tighten the nut making sure the screw does not move.  It should at least help.

Don't forget you have to torque the bolt to 72 in lbs before backing it off.
But if it's slipping in 3rd gear I don't think that will help unfortunately because the kickdown band is only applied in 2nd gear. :icon_smile_sad:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

73chargercali

the mph was 88.03.
i was going to get the summit 2 qt extra trans pan for better cooling and i was going to hook up my external tranny cooler. i figure it slipped more from heat than any thing. it isn't bad now. the transmission is a tci crate trans that is only 5 months old.

my tires are cooper cobra gts 225/70 r14.

i pulled the plugs and found that the front 4 cylinders were clean and normal looking and the back 4 were sooted up and i used a infered temp sensor the front 4 are around 300-400'F  the back 4 are 250-180'F so i think i'm running on 7 or 6 cylinder what do you all think? does your exhaust temp change much between cylinders?

73chargercali

well if all goes good then i'm going back to the track on the 31st to race again. i've spent the last few weekends upgrading. i put the edelbrock nitrous system in in about 11 hours of off and on working yesterday and let me just say to any one wanting extremely simple horsepower its money well spent the car flys now. i only tested it about three times before the sun was setting but it only took a couple of seconds to reach the redline i set for the engine so im going to have to be careful. i also installed the tci deepsump trans pan and found quite a bit of metal shavings in the pan and pickup but tci said its normal as the trans is being broken in. so now the trans opperates great the car feels like a beast and the wednesday night drag racing is coming up. so i'm shooting for the 14s again which i should have no prblem acheiving. does anyone have any advice? i plan on spraying in third the first race then maybe second and third in the other rounds.

dodge freak

You need a rev limiter. If you get a MSD unit or Crane's fireball it will have one you can adjust. I would get one before its to late. Throwing rods is no fun.

73chargercali

so i went to the track and this time they actually did a tech inspection on my car and told me to pull the bottle out. i didn't have the safty blowndown tube and they complained about some other little things, so i had to leave the bottle with my friend and ran 2 passes that were horrible (i'll blame it on a strong head wind)

first run did decent burnout but had major wheel spin off the line 17.066 at 87.24mph.

second run did long burnout great launch and no wheel spin but i think i forgot to go full throtle in 1st and second and shifted fairly quick, 16.612 at 79.30mph.

i finally got some of the racing fuel and it worked great the car was way more responsive, started easier, ran smoother but it cost 5.95 a gallon (leaded 114 octane) i know it was a waste of octane but i wanted to see if there was an improvement.
next time i buy parts for the car i'll pickup some more nitrous goodies and then run the car again.
so can any other racers tell me why my mph were higher in the slower time?

73Charger

If you are faster in the top end (and of the track), your MPH will be bigger. If your better off the line, your .60' times will be the best and this will bring your ET down but can also bring your MPH down since you get such a good launch, that you don't have as much TIME to before you get to the end - bring that # down. Get it now? ;)  Many times people refer to MPH as a reflection of HP since it represents your top end power more than your et which reflects things like traction, chassis, etc.
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73Charger on June 01, 2006, 10:30:48 PM
Many times people refer to MPH as a reflection of HP since it represents your top end power more than your et which reflects things like traction, chassis, etc.

Exactly !

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

greenpigs

I still don't think your combo is sorted out and spraying it isn't going to make it running like a stone go away. You have 82K miles so I hope your not running more than 100hp of spray and how is your fuel system?  Sure you can run NOS on a cast piston motor but everything better be 100% because if the motor is starving out without the nos, and your not aware of it..when you are it will be expensive.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

73chargercali

i put a carter street/strip pump flowing 120gph at 6-7psi. the fuel lines are small but i only have a 100shot and i don't plan on upping the power until i take care of some more weak points on my car. hopefully after this summer i can afford a complete rebuild of my engine and a different torque converter, i was planning on maybe a 2600 stall since freeway speeds would always be higher than this. (3000 and up)

i have a question for those who are running edelbrock aluminum heads, do the heads come with shaft mounted or pedistal mounted rockers? are the rockers included? are the spark plugs easier to install/uninstall compared to stock heads? did anyone have any issues with the heads or tips i should know?

and yet another question, what oilpan has no clearance issues and fits nicely on a 73 charger. i want added protection in my oiling system and wanted 7qts with a high flow pump. i was told alot of the after market pans had issues with the k-member and some of the suspension, i really don't want to use a hammer to make it fit.

Beer

I was able to find a smallblock pan for my 73, your right its tight

Mildon B-Body SB pan

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...