News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How often do you drive YOUR charger

Started by jefferson, October 31, 2018, 02:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petebell68

I'm with you during the winter months when they're just sitting when there is snow outside it is sad .
Sometimes I'll grab a coffee and sit in the car and read - I've even had my breakfast in it during the winter watching the snow fall through the garage windows ..

Brass

I think I normally put about 2,000-2,500 miles on a year.  Mostly from July through September.  The rest of the time, I try not to let it sit more than 4 weeks at a shot, and make a point of taking it out during those rare instances when it's dry.  I take precautions but try not to worry too much about what could happen on the road, and just accept it will incur some wear and tear.  Turning the key still lights me up every time.  

69wannabe

I try to drive it every weekend in the summer months even tho it's a non a/c car I try to get out early and get back before me and Coco melt  ;D The fall of the year seems to be my favorite riding time with the leaves turning and the weather cooling off. It is always weather permitting tho since I won't drive it in the rain, so if it's raining on the weekends then mine doesn't get drove then. I know it's not good for them to just sit and I enjoy driving mine around so I try to drive it regularly. I drive a company vehicle to work during the week so no way to drive the charger to work.

Dino

Quote from: Petebell68 on November 01, 2018, 09:51:31 AM
I'm with you during the winter months when they're just sitting when there is snow outside it is sad .
Sometimes I'll grab a coffee and sit in the car and read - I've even had my breakfast in it during the winter watching the snow fall through the garage windows ..

I get it, but never tell your psychiatrist :lol:

When I used to drive mine to work I'd have lunch in the car while listening to the AM radio. I miss those times.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BDF

I drive mine whenever I can. It's my 'Happy Place'. My wife is used to hearing "I'm going for a drive" but I have learned to not tell her I am going to the coast OR how long I'll be gone. She told me this morning she & her mother were going somewhere so I said "OK, I'm going for a drive" and left out the details. Which are going to the coast & being gone ALL DAY. :2thumbs:

bull

For some reason driving is not a problem for me when it comes to fear of it getting damaged. What I don't like is leaving it parked somewhere. Maybe I think it's harder to hit a moving object. :shruggy: Other than dead bugs while driving most of the damage I've incurred is from people pawing it while it's sitting still.

6pktgo

I`ve had my car restored now for 9 years & put 2100 miles on it in that time .  Don`t drive it near as much as I`d like to.  It`s 8 degrees & lots of snow outside, so it`s again tucked away for the winter.   

Nacho-RT74

When in one piece, uses to be my driver. I built it to enjoy it
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Todd Wilson

Havent drove my 71 in over 4 years..................

Todd

AKcharger

Once every two weeks is average, seems like I'm always busy

nvrbdn

Being busy can dictate how often it gets out, but I try to get it out a few times a month. Went for a nice drive yesterday and it was awesome. Am planning to do it again today if the rain holds off for a while!!!!! But we are supposed to get a good bit of rain and snow for the next couple days.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

A383Wing

I have 3 Chargers and the one Pontiac......I keep track of my mileage that I put on each car every year.....

I have not put more than 100 miles on each of those 4 cars per year over the last few years.......

I guess I need to get out more

Bryan

cdr

As I said I drive mine all the time, here is a short drive the other day, demonstrating overdrive & lock up converter.
https://youtu.be/DBlr7x_87Ic
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

During the winter months i visit mine every friday night in the garage. We listen to music and drink beer together waiting for the salt to wash off the roads.

Back N Black

Quote from: cdr on November 23, 2018, 02:56:59 PM
As I said I drive mine all the time, here is a short drive the other day, demonstrating overdrive & lock up converter.
https://youtu.be/DBlr7x_87Ic

Nice!!! what trans do you have in the car?

Kern Dog

As I recall, he has an adapted 518 from a Dakota.

cdr

It came out of a 1995 1/2 ton pick up a518/46rh
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

redgum78

Quote from: jefferson on October 31, 2018, 02:42:09 AM
As you guys know, im in Australia and recently imported a 68 charger. I love her, i love driving her but now im wondering, i talk to other car guys and they dont drive theres at all, they have  them trailed everywhere, then others tell me, screw that, drive the car and enjoy it. Then others say, that with how less and less and more expensive chargers are now days then very rarely drive it. Ive taken mine out a few times and hard to hang up the keys, But its got me wondering, what is the go with people not driving there chargers, rarely driving them or having them trailed in and out of car shows, displays etc.

Is it to preserve them? Scared of scratches, stone marks, chips etc etc.

Or will most here agree and say, screw that, drive it as much as you can and dont worry.

Got me stoked on how everyones opinions seem to vary.

Hey Jefferson- Where in Oz are you? I am in Rural Gippsland, Victoria.
I drive mine at least weekly and have daily driven in the past. Almost never lock it and park it anywhere that it will fit! I guess its a bit easier in our Country as there is no off season plus been in a rural area helps. Mine is a 73 so not quite the same value as a 2nd Gen Charger however I also have a 70 RT Challenger and that will be treated exactly the same when it is finished.

toocheaptosmoke

I drive mine quite frequently through the non winter months, usually 1-2 times a week I drive it to work if the weather isn't bad.    I purposely have not finished the paint and bodywork just because I enjoy not worrying about it.  Oddly enough I use it more as a commuter than anything, my "weekend car" is usually the jeep.  :lol:

I pretend to drive mine once every 3 - 5 years or so when it gets winched on or off a trailer to move it.

qwick68

I bought mine in 1995 with 27000 original miles after sitting for years, I drove it daily while in high school then sparingly after I acquired another vehicle.  After completing a OE resto about 12-13 years ago its seen very little use, I'd say the last 5 years or so it sees less than 100 miles a year.  I used to go to a lot of cruise nights and shows when I finished the car but i'm not really into it anymore.  I take it to work a few times a year, haven't been to a show in 3 years and a cruise night in 5 or so.  I have 2 little ones at home and a boat I use when the weather is nice....I do enjoy driving it when I can, other than that unfortunately it just sits.....last I checked its got about 33k on it now.....
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

nvrbdn

I like the cruises much better than the shows because I can't handle sitting there all day. I actually made it through 2 whole shows this past summer to collect a trophy. Most shows I go to is to just donate to the show, check the cars, eat a bite and hit the road. 2 weeks ago I put 150 miles on the car just driving the river road and cruising the towns on the way.  A pic from the river!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Kern Dog

That is a nice looking car and a great picture.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

qwick68

Quote from: qwick68 on November 24, 2018, 11:12:52 AM
I bought mine in 1995 with 27000 original miles after sitting for years, I drove it daily while in high school then sparingly after I acquired another vehicle.  After completing a OE resto about 12-13 years ago its seen very little use, I'd say the last 5 years or so it sees less than 100 miles a year.  I used to go to a lot of cruise nights and shows when I finished the car but i'm not really into it anymore.  I take it to work a few times a year, haven't been to a show in 3 years and a cruise night in 5 or so.  I have 2 little ones at home and a boat I use when the weather is nice....I do enjoy driving it when I can, other than that unfortunately it just sits.....last I checked its got about 33k on it now.....
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise