News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crown Vic P71. This is interesting.

Started by JR, January 11, 2018, 08:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Posted from Jalopnik. https://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-happens-when-you-buy-a-ford-crown-vic-poli-1821985136

If you ever need proof that you don't need a ton of power to have a fun car, take a look at this Ford Crown Victoria P71. It only puts 230 horsepower to the rear wheels, but the owner has modified it to the point that it's basically "a fat Miata."

The changes feel dramatic and they do extend past the realm of bolt-ons, but only slightly. The rear suspension gets tubular arms usually seen in tweaked Mustangs, the front suspension doesn't get much of anything other than adjustable end links for the sway bar, the gearing is shortened up greatly with 4:10 gears at the rear with a limited slip differential, fat tires, a smaller steering wheel and (I imagine) a proper alignment are the main changes.

And, well, that the owner seam-welded the body to the frame, cutting out the wallow of the aging body-on-frame design. The whole car weighs some 3,700 pounds.

There's not much to the engine, other than a better air box and intake plenum for the 4.6 liter Ford V8, an engine that's not particularly beloved. The whole vehicle didn't cost the owner much more than seven grand all in.

What you end up with is a car that doesn't seem to fit into any good category or reputation for something fun to drive.

But it very much is. "This thing mobs," as Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire beams.

Crown Vics are much more fun than you'd expect, what with their sheer size and live rear axle, but they boogie in the dirt even when they're stock, and well-tweaked they seem like a ton of fun on track, in autocross or through some canyons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEBCky3SD1c

I know it seems crazy, but maybe these guys are on to something. Dirt cheap and reliable. Rwd, solid axle, and capable of doing anything. Without fear of scratching or dinging something too valuable.

I have to admit, the video had me going to eBay to look up cheap police Interceptors.

I expect this will get laughed at here, but I'm curious what you guys think.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

garner7555

I have one that I plan to do a body swap on.  I plan to put a 67 ford truck on the crown vic frame and drive train.   I have both vehicles, just don't have the time yet.   My vic only has 80k miles, it's a cream puff but wrecked in the back.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

JR

That's awesome Garner. I assume you've already watched this, but Hot Rod Garage recently built one similar. They call it the "Crown Hick", and the build was featured in three episodes.

https://youtu.be/RDy8c_nICl8

https://youtu.be/xX1mjS7Gjys

ACUDANUT

Every Older Cop out there, loved the Crown Vic's.  The Caprice was a joke along with the Diplomat.
Beware buying a used Cop car.  The mileage may be low in some, but remember, these cars never got turned off 90 percent of the time and every 8-10 hours, another ass was in the same seat.
They could have a million running hours on that 4.6 (great engine)...Lap top computers in these cars, caused that.  If I was to buy one, I would buy a Detective's old ride.  Low hours and mileage.  :2thumbs:
  You might also consider the Mercury version also.  :Twocents:

garner7555

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 12, 2018, 03:21:02 PM
Every Older Cop out there, loved the Crown Vic's.  The Caprice was a joke along with the Diplomat.
Beware buying a used Cop car.  The mileage may be low in some, but remember, these cars never got turned off 90 percent of the time and every 8-10 hours, another ass was in the same seat.
They could have a million running hours on that 4.6 (great engine)...Lap top computers in these cars, caused that.  If I was to buy one, I would buy a Detective's old ride.  Low hours and mileage.  :2thumbs:
  You might also consider the Mercury version also.  :Twocents:

Mine actually is a Mercury Grand Marquis.   :yesnod:      Old people had it,  80k miles and the oil is clear (and it's due an oil change).     :coolgleamA:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

richf

This is mine that I bought back in May 2017 for a daily driver.  Best $2k I've ever spent. I've since painted the doors black and plan on painting the roof once it warms up here in Jersey. ADTR is a big supplier for aftermarket parts.  Once I progress a little futher on my Charger, I'd like to make my 2007 P71 a handling monster.  Ironically, this car was purchased from a local town, and when test driving it, the chief of police informed me that it was the only CV they had in the fleet for the past 5 years, having been replaced by Chargers and Explorers.  2 years ago I was pulled over in the same town by a CV, meaning I've been pulled over by my own car!
1968 Charger 318/904 project
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700
2007 Ford Crown Victoria P71

Poor college student

JR

That's awesome rich. I'm really considering pulling the trigger on one as a cheap fun car.

Here's more Crown Vic hoonage for the thread.

richf

I can't recommend them enough. The only issue is that around town you will often get stuck behind people doing 5 under the limit.  However, on the interstate, everyone gets out of your lane!
1968 Charger 318/904 project
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700
2007 Ford Crown Victoria P71

Poor college student

1970Moparmann

Quote from: richf on January 13, 2018, 04:11:11 PM
I can't recommend them enough. The only issue is that around town you will often get stuck behind people doing 5 under the limit.  However, on the interstate, everyone gets out of your lane!

I've owned (3) and contest that they are great cars.   If your not too much of an ass, you can have some real fun without any lights coming on.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!