News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

interesting test about filler on metal vs. filler on epoxy

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, May 06, 2006, 09:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

Came accross this test done to determine whether body filler is best over bare metal or epoxy.Alot of members have been asking this question,check it out .....here is the link   

http://www.autobodystore.com/filler_&_epoxy.htm

mopar_madman

I read that before on the site, was surprised to see the epoxy detach itself from the metal so easily.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

AirborneSilva

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on May 06, 2006, 09:51:32 PM
Came accross this test done to determine whether body filler is best over bare metal or epoxy.Alot of members have been asking this question,check it out .....here is the link   

http://www.autobodystore.com/filler_&_epoxy.htm

Thanks for the link, that site has lots of good info on it  :thumbs:

AirborneSilva

Thank you for the links, yes I do like info and I will need all I can get.  As for my car, nope haven't done anything on it yet.  It is over my inlaws but I asked a friend last night if I could use his trailor to bring it over here so I can hopefully start doing something with it.  I have also picked up the small claims paper work but have yet to fill those out and and file yet.  There is a line in there that says and I quote;

"The court in which an action is to be filed is determined by where the defendant resides, or does business (if you are suing a business) or where the cause of action occurred.  THE CLERKS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE TO VERIFY WHETHER OR NOT YOUR FILING IS CORRECT."

Now, if I am reading that right becuase I bought the car off of e-bay and it was delivered here then I can file here?!?

Thanks again.

DanishDude

I'm really surprised about the surprise from the author of the first article.  :icon_smile_big:

It is hopefully well known that for optimum bonding strength when using fillers, glue and the like, the surface(s) to be bonded should be fairly rough and not at all smooth. This is because the roughness dramatically increases the area of the surface and provides countless microscopic edges for the filler/glue to 'grip'.

As for the epoxy results, then I wonder if either the chosen epoxy was appropriate for the application, or of it was improperly processed. Never mind if the filler/epoxy bond might be weak (it apparently wasn't), but if the product has any resemblance to the epoxy glues I have used, then there is no possible way he would have been able to separate the epoxy from the metal as easily as he did.

Through hard won experience I find processing epoxy properly for optimum bond and substance strength to be fairly hard. I have a bond in a piece of equipment here, which I personally made 25 years ago, and the glue is still soft enough to bend using only finger power. I attribute that to improper processing on my part back then.

On the other hand once I learned how to properly mix and cure epoxy, the bonds I have made have been bulletproof, more or less literally. Still seems it is a bit of hit and miss though, as I still get it wrong sometimes.

There is a reason why they use epoxy based paints for armoured vehicles...

Frank.
Dream car: '68 Charger. Project status: Currently charging Charger cash capacitor.

The Ghoul