News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wilwood on 9 inch fitment issue

Started by TOY440, January 06, 2018, 08:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOY440

Hi guys, as the title states, I have a fitment issue with mounting of my Wilwood kit on my 9 inch.

The issue at hand is: when I mount the park brake assembly, there is a bearing retainer plate the goes on the wheel side of the park brake assembly and is bolted onto the studs that come through the axle flange and through the park brake backing plate. So when the axle is slid in to place and the four bolts are buttoned up, the backs of the wheel studs hit the park brake spring as the axle rotates. This in turn necessitates the mounting flange where the wheel studs are to come out about 3-5mm to clear the springs, but I'm guessing the bearing still needs to be seated so by simply making spacers for the 4 studs will only move the axle in as far as the spacers will allow in turn leaving a few mm between the bearing and the seat in the axle flange, room for movement??

So, I have a few suggestion: 1: make 5 spacers at the suggested thickness, 4 of which to go on the mentioned 4 mounting studs and one to sit inside the axle for the bearing to seat up against. 2: remove the axles and get the bearing slid down the axle the required distance thus no need for spacers as the distance between the bearing and the mounting surface is now a few mm longer, and 3: new axles.

Which would be the best route, or am open to other suggestions I haven't thought of.....?

Thanks in advance

c00nhunterjoe

Wbat kit number did you use? What axles are you using? Have you called wilwood?

TOY440

I can't call wilwood as they are closed now.

I got the 140-13206 kit

As for axles, I'm really not sure as they were in the car when I bought it, haven't had the car for very long.

Sorry for the vague info, but that's all I know right now, it's 1am on a Sunday here in Sydney right now haha

John_Kunkel

Wilwood would be my last choice for a rear disc kit because of the funky drum parking brake.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdRear.aspx?itemno=140-13206-DR
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TOY440

I already had the fronts so I went the rears to suit

alfaitalia

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 06, 2018, 12:13:51 PM
Wilwood would be my last choice for a rear disc kit because of the funky drum parking brake.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdRear.aspx?itemno=140-13206-DR

Lots of cars still use that drum brake in disc hub set up. My Jeep Grand Cherokee and my Old BMW 528i for example. Does not need to do anything more than hold the car on a slope....how powerful does it need to be ??!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

John_Kunkel

It's not about the holding power, it's about the complexity. Calipers with a built-in parking brake are much simpler.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.