News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hedman 78070 headers?

Started by Windsor, November 05, 2016, 02:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

Is anyone running Hedman 78070 (shorty) headers? I am trying to find out how far they stick out past the exhaust port face (flange). Anyone running them with Edelbrock Performer RPM heads?
I am trying to find some off the shelf headers to use since I am getting tired of building headers but need some that will fit between the rails. If I have to build another set, I'm just going to build zoomies.

JR

I literally just installed a set of the 78076s last week. Same headers, but ceramic coated.

I have 452 heads, and they fit pretty good, except for the passenger side shock tower. The number two cylinders header tube needed a good sized dent to clear the shock tower.

The rest of the passenger side fit great.

The driver side fit very well, but I gave it a couple of small dings around the steering box just in case the engine torques. It would clear a borgenson steering box with miles to spare I imagine.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Windsor

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at installing a set on my motor which will be mounted in a Dakota frame. Only steering component that would be an issue is the steering shaft, but I'll build another custom one to fit since I am going from Omni (rear) to Dakota (front) R&P. I'm just concerned about the distance from the flange to the furthest point on the bends. I have a frame width of 27" (tapered down to 21" for the rear mount of the LCA). I might end up having to move the motor up or back to get stuff to fit.

JR

Oh, ok.

I can get some measurements tomorrow from the cylinder head if it will help.

Windsor

That would be awesome. Thanks.

Windsor

I went with the 78073 black ceramic coated. Ordered on 12/1, recieved 1/10.
Fitment notes:
The headers somewhat fit the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. Using the recommended spark plugs, the #7 plug boot will have contact with the #7 pipe during operation. #s 1, 2, & 8 will be close to their pipes but will not contact. I will be searching for a shorter plug that isn't $45 each.
If used with a Milodon rear sump (truck) oil pan, the dip stick will have to be relocated. Bending the stick as far forward as possible, I only get 1/2" clearance. Not an issue for me since I am extending the pan using the sump off an older (but same style) pan and can easily relocate the dipstick to the extension.

Issue: for the $, I was very disappointed to find that the area at the "top" of the collector where the 4 pipes come together is not coated or even painted to give the appearance of being coated. Bare metal at the one spot on the entire header where water/debris/mud could collect. I've already emailed Summit and Hedman about this and am waiting a response.

Windsor

darbgnik

Quote from: JR on November 05, 2016, 07:54:52 PM
I literally just installed a set of the 78076s last week. Same headers, but ceramic coated.

I have 452 heads, and they fit pretty good, except for the passenger side shock tower. The number two cylinders header tube needed a good sized dent to clear the shock tower.

The rest of the passenger side fit great.

The driver side fit very well, but I gave it a couple of small dings around the steering box just in case the engine torques. It would clear a borgenson steering box with miles to spare I imagine.

Do you have a mini starter? One eBay add for them says this is required. Thanks
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Windsor

I believe they are needed. I will get a picture tomorrow of the starter I have mounted up to get a better idea of clearances. I'll have to try to find the part # for the starter I have. Got it about 5 years ago from Jegs and the label fell off.

Windsor

Here is a little picture dump.
The starter is a MP lightweight starter from Jegs. One issue that popped up is the protrusion from the block on the driver side. It is in solid contact with the #3 pipe. But, that is easily taken care of with a flap disk.

Windsor

Another.

Windsor

Another..

Windsor

Another.

Windsor

Another.

Windsor

Another

Windsor

Here are the pictures of the area that did not get the ceramic coating.

Windsor

Last one

darbgnik

Thanks for all the pics! Appreciate it!
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Windsor

If you need any others, let me know before the weekend is up. Next week, headers are going back to Hedman to get properly coated. Just let me know the angle you want, I can only do engine clearances since it isn't a Charger build.

Windsor

A little update. Hedman is having FedEx pick the headers up tomorrow and will recoated them then send them back.

JR

I'm sorry I missed your questions, yes, a mini starter is required for these.

I'm using a standard mini starter from an early 90s Dakota. Works great, plenty of room to spare.

Harper

1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)