News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with my brake conversion....

Started by Blakcharger440, May 17, 2006, 11:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

OK,I have tried different hoses for my brake conversion but it is not working. Basically the bottom brake hose fitting is hitting the shock bolt when I try to turn it lock to lock and seems to prevent it from full travel. I currently have the calipers rear mounted and want to keep them that way as I dont want to have to swap the spindles side to side and risk damaging the ball joints.

Here are the parts that I have on it currently.

11.75 Cordoba rotors and pin type caliper adapters and calipers
73 Dart disc brake spindles

I want to keep the calipers rear mounted to avoid any sway bar interference should I switch to an aftermarket sway bar.

What calipers do I need to buy to have a rear mounted caliper and what brake hose??
I would like to get it right this time.
Any help is appreciated.   I have already performed a search and found nothing about successfully rear mounting a caliper and could not find any.

Here are some pics!   :rotz:
I suck at the internet and dont know how to resize a pic....just a warning  :icon_smile_big:

]

Chryco Psycho

my guess woul dbe a 74-75 caliper , possibly even up to 79 but with the brake hose with the brass block & Banjo bolt style instead fo the type you have with the hose threaded straight into the caliper

Blakcharger440

Hey Chryco 74-75 caliper for what make and model? And have  you seen someone who used it or did it yourself?

bull

You got the wrong type of caliper for the application. You can probably take the ones you have now in for cores and get some for a '73 Challenger that will work. http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

Look for the ones pictured here numbered 4 or 5 instead of the one with the X below it like you have.

Blakcharger440

But can you rear mount those 73 Challenger calipers Bull????

bull

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on May 19, 2006, 08:50:59 AM
But can you rear mount those 73 Challenger calipers Bull????

I believe so. You might have to swap them side to side but they can be rear mounted. If you don't want to do that you can buy an aftermarket sway bar as you mentioned and mount the calipers to the front but swapping the spindles side to side won't hurt anything. New, aftermarket sway bars are configured in a way to allow for disc brake caliper swing clearance. Keep your Cordoba caliper brackets because they will work with the Challenger calipers (if you get them) and make sure that no matter how you end up mounting your calipers you keep the bleeders at the top or you'll trap air in the system.