News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

0w-40 Mobil one

Started by flyinlow, March 14, 2017, 08:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I have been using 15w-50 Mobil one in a 446 street engine for the last 9 years (40,000 miles). This oil has a lot of ZDDP. So far the engine seams to work well with it. Good oil pressure, good compression and is not burning oil. I looked at the cam and lifters when I upgraded to Comp Car rockers last year and they looked good.

I would like to run a lighter oil ,sticking with a synthetic. Mobil makes a 0w-40 , but the ZDDP levels are lower and I would need to add a supplement. The 0w would help with start ups and maybe pick up a horsepower or two.

Recommendations ?

Scaregrabber

That's whats in my Viper.

Sheldon

c00nhunterjoe

Unless you drive in winter, the dual viscosity is not as critical to you. Fwiw, the 40w, is measured at 212 degree oil temp.

alfaitalia

I tried the zero in my Jeep....according to Mobil it was a recommended oil. Only used it for one change. The extra mechanical noise from the top of the motor when cold or hot (more when cold) was quite worrying. Just a bit too thin when cold IMO. Wont be using it again. Back to the 15 and all was silent again. :shruggy:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

c00nhunterjoe

What were your oil pressures cold and hot at idle, 1500 and 3000 rpm in both scenarios? I would almost bet a 10w40 would be plenty for your engine and high zinc oils are plentiful in that weight

flyinlow

I do drive in the winter some. However the car is stored in a heated garage so it's starting at 45* or warmer.  I sometimes get lifter noise for a few seconds on a cold start and forged piston noise for a minute or so. I don't know if lighter weight oil would help?

I just changed the oil in our Accord which uses 0W-20, which pours like 3 in 1 oil compared to the 15W-50.  Just got me thinking about options.

flyinlow

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 15, 2017, 11:55:07 AM
What were your oil pressures cold and hot at idle, 1500 and 3000 rpm in both scenarios? I would almost bet a 10w40 would be plenty for your engine and high zinc oils are plentiful in that weight

I still used the factory electric oil pressure gauge and a separate idiot light normally. I had a mechanical gauge on it when it was first installed for the break in and again after I switched to Comp roller tipped rockers.

75-80 psi on start. Warmed up , 45-50 psi at idle 70 psi at or above 2000 rpm. Melling HV pump.

cdr

I run 10/30 VR1 in my 512.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

If you are 70+ hot, the pump is in full bypass, 50 weight is too thick in my opinion. A 10/30 wpuld probably yield good numbers and free up horsepower.