News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Green bearings again.....

Started by Aussiemadonmopars, February 15, 2017, 10:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussiemadonmopars

So I read an old post on here that says when I change to green bearings I have to remove a 1/4" off the end of the axles. Is this correct? I had to change to green bearings when I decided to go with rear disk brakes. I have found that the axles don't seat enough in the ends of the axle tubes. The axles are poking out about an 1/16th of an inch which is preventing the calipers from spinning freely, the calipers will drag on one side of the caliper with a gap on the other side with the caliper fully opened up. I know this may be an old and common problem but I didn't get enough info from the previous posts so some new help would be great. Thanks DC.com.

c00nhunterjoe

Did you remove the thrust button from the diff?

John_Kunkel

With factory axles and the snap-ring type Green bearings there should be no interference with the thrust block. What kind of discs?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Aussiemadonmopars

It was a kit from MP brakes if I remember rightly. It has the handbrake behind and inside the disk.

Aussiemadonmopars

I'm guessing by the fact that I can see through the centre chunk through the little whole to the other side, it's had the thrust block removed already, am I correct??

And if that's correct and the axles still aren't seating far enough into the axle tube that the bearings might not be seated all the way home??

Aussiemadonmopars

So I figured the bearings are in the correct place, the thrust block is removed from the centre section, and the disk is sitting flush on the axle, so that just leaves the caliper mount which needs to be machined maybe 30-40 thou of the face. Any other suggestions?

c00nhunterjoe

If you have verified that the axles are seated fully in the tubes, then the problem lays in the brake kit. Shimming the bracket may work and is required on alot of kits.

Aussiemadonmopars

I actually need to lap some off the mounting brackets, probably up to 30 thou. The caliper is right up against the front face of the disk with the caliper fully open. So I guess I will measure the width of the disk and the width of the caliper fully open and try and place the disk in the middle of the caliper.

Aussiemadonmopars

Problem fixed. I just lapped the 2 little nuggets you see in the picture above about 1 mm each or 40 thou and no brake disk drag. All good.  :2thumbs: