News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Challenger Shutting Off - Video

Started by JMF, March 04, 2017, 11:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Hi guys, got a strange problem on my 73 Challenger, it's worse when the car is first started from cold and gets a little better after about 5 minutes but still does it, when braking coming to a stop it will shut off, or stutter off then on again, although it doesn't do it everytime.

I know this may hint at it being brake servo/vacuum related but the strange thing is it has shut off before when driving when i've not even been on the brakes.

It always starts straight up again no problem.

I've replaced the ignition switch as that was being a bit temperamental and I hoped that's what is was but it's still happening.

Please see below for video, at the beginning you'll hear it keep stuttering off and on everytime I brake and at the end of the video you'll hear it completely shut off when I brake.

Another strange thing is that it doesn't do any of this when braking in reverse.

I appreciate any help or advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6uBjAza0aE

Thanks guys

BLK 68 R/T

Sounds like a fuel related issue to me? Maybe float level or fuel pressure issue?

ACUDANUT

Tune it up. Increase carb idle, check for vacuum leaks. Run it a 1000 rpm's if you have a monster cam. :Twocents:

JMF

Thanks for the replies, i'm almost certain it's brake related as it always wants to shut off as soon as you press the brakes, strangely it gets a little bit better once the car is warmed up and it doesn't seem to do it in reverse as much.

But not sure how the brakes would be related to the engine shutting off ?

Could the brake pedal be touching some wiring maybe ?

Tomorrow I will try disconnecting the servo just so I can eliminate that as a possibility

70 sublime

If you have power brakes pinch off the vacuum hose before you start it up and see if it acts any different when running
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green