News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My First Post

Started by BigCE, January 16, 2017, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigCE

Quote from: darbgnik on January 16, 2017, 06:23:21 PM
What part of Alberta you from? Fort Mac here. I saw that one on kijiji as well.

I live in Brooks. It was only on Kijiji for about 24 hours when I bought it. However I relisted it in December, more on that below.

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on January 17, 2017, 09:55:09 AM
Nice ride.

If your ever looking to go back oem look inside im selling my complete automatic and console set up from my 70. Im in canada too.

I am actually wanting to get a center console. I hate the monster tach and cheapo floor shifter. It was originally a column/bench car but I want to keep buckets and install a console. So PM me some more info/pics.

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 17, 2017, 09:37:19 AM
Whereabouts in Alberta you located ?

Brooks, 2 hours East of Calgary.

500Jon

Nice One BCE!

Great colour and in real good condition for the money too.
Non-vinyl is always a godsend with a Mopar, no hidden rustyness.
I like your comment about the 'cheap shifter'... a mega shifter is about as expensive as it gets with a B&M lol... :smilielol:

All you need now is a gallon of EF8  'dark metallic green' and a 440... you will be the coolest guy in your Town/City/Country!!! :2thumbs:

Luvving the seat cushion too, maybe you have the same problem as me, can't see over the steering wheel?
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

BigCE

As for history on the car the seller knew very little, he told me it was originally from Florida and he bought it from his friend who got it from a guy in Calgary. His friend owned it for a longer period and he was converting it into a "race car" which apparently means adding a over sized Tach and a floor shifter. From what I gather he was also the one who installed the current engine, the seller told me it is a 360 and the trans has a shift kit, unknown if it is original trans or not. Does anyone know where the vin is stamped?

The motor sounds pretty healthy it must have a decent cam in it, however it is a turd. I guarantee it makes 250 flywheel or less. I'm not really worried about it just an observation, it sounds cool doing it at least lol.

I found the registry right away and learned how to decode the fender tag and I also sent Don an email. I know the car is supposed to be Dark Green (wish it still was). 318 car with AC and a column shift with a bench and green interior. I learned a lot more from Don. He said it was last registered to a "Jon" in Calgary and had previously been for sale on eBay in '06
Here is what Don sent me,

So looks like the original 318 overheated and the car was painted in 1991. Timeline is a bit fussy and I don't know if it was painted in Calgary or the US somewhere, again Forida is mentioned. However as some of you have spotted this car is optioned with California emissions equipment. I only figured that out the other day when I learned what the weird vent thing is for in the trunk.

So I think the car has only ever been painted once and just a scuff and spray from what I can tell. They must have had it all apart as it is really hard to find any green on the car. I dont think it has had any repairs, from what I can tell it wasn't sanded and filled anywhere there is definitely some waves and you can still see the factory seam from the rear quarters. As for rust there is very little, I have had it on a lift and checked out the bottom and it looks like factory undercoating or some old undercoating at least, it is mostly intact and there is no major rust whatsoever. There are a few bubbles in the paint here and there, one in the lower rear window area and one in the passenger side cowl below the windshield. There is some paint chipping behind the rear wheel well on the passenger side as well. The passenger side rear quarter is a bit rougher than the driver side but they are both in very good shape IMO.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: BigCE on January 17, 2017, 12:20:20 PM
...the seller told me it is a 360 and the trans has a shift kit, unknown if it is original trans or not. Does anyone know where the vin is stamped?
The VIN should be stamped on the right (passenger) side of the block by the oil pan, near the oil filter.

Congrats on landing that Great looking Charger, it's a beauty! :drool5:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

BigCE

Here are some more pictures of the current condition,

Driver foot well area, previous owner (seller) installed the current R/T buckets (at least that's what he told me they are?) not the cleanest install lol.

Top side, picture makes it look much worse than it is. Looks to be very minor surface rust, mostly just lifting the paint.

Hey look it used to be green,

In the middle of a tach delete ::)

Think there was a mouse at some point :icon_smile_big:
Would this be the original headliner or would it have been green?

BigCE

Had to split the post.

Just noticed these 2 bolts in the tank? Some sort of make shift plug or what? Also anyone know what rear this is?

Should have taken pictures when it was on the lift.

Dreamcar

Welcome to another Canadian  :cheers:
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

BigCE

Shiny side,

One of two patches in the car, maybe leaky battery before it got painted??

I think the dash was painted or dyed?

Rad support,

Trunk,

BigCE

Quote from: Charger_Fan on January 17, 2017, 12:30:23 PM
The VIN should be stamped on the right (passenger) side of the block by the oil pan, near the oil filter.

Thanks, was wondering about the trans though. Pretty sure the motor is not original, I can look though.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: BigCE on January 17, 2017, 12:51:36 PM
Quote from: Charger_Fan on January 17, 2017, 12:30:23 PM

Thanks, was wondering about the trans though. Pretty sure the motor is not original, I can look though.
Oh sorry, I'm not sure about the trans.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

BLK 68 R/T

Rear diff looks like an 8.25 to me
VIN on the trans is stamped on a pad on the right side of the bell housing, about mid way up.

darbgnik

I'm no expert, but that diff and those leafs look like small block pieces to me too.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

70-500-SE-EXPORT

Looks like a solid car. I see your 70 has a 8 1/4 rear end. My 70 318 / 904 auto had a 8 3/4. I don't get how both cars can be small block automatics but have different rear ends? 
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

Dino

My 69 had a 318/727 and a 8 3/4. I guess you could just mix and match huh?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

VegasCharger

WOW those long seat frame floor board mounting bolts LMFAO.  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

BigCE

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I also think its pretty solid for it being all original sheet metal.

Here is my big question
My dream Charger is a Black 68 or 69 with some modern improvements as in late model motor and overdrive trans and some better suspension. I appreciate the all original cars but this car being nothing special it doesn't break my heart to do more of a resto mod vibe to it.

That being said, I feel like dollar$ wise it is going to be cheaper to keep this car and change the front clip over to a 69 I'm thinking because then I wouldn't have to change the rear tail lights. I know i'll probably catch some flack over this.

I bought this car because it was a great deal IMO and right from the get go I had the intention on converting it some day. I went back and forth on this for a while, I even relisted it for sale for a time. I had quite a few offers for a decent amount more than I paid for the car but at the end of the day I was doing the math and I wont be able to find another car 68/69 for what I have into this one. My 70 fenders and grille are in pretty good shape so I can likely sell it for a decent buck and offset the cost of the new sheet metal and repo grille.

My thought process on the build would be getting a motor and trans installed over the next year. Have it all running driving and mocked up, then next winter tear it apart and redo the car. Then once its painted the motor trans will just fit right in.

So what do you guys think? Am I banned now? ;D

Kern Dog

When I bought my 70, I had the same intentions. This was in early 2000 when there were no reproduction fenders or grilles. The production numbers of the 1970 model are just slightly more than half of the 1969 numbers  so it occurred to me that my car was actually more rare in stock form. That wasn't th deciding factor though. That grille and bumper just grew on me.
I love the 68 styling too. The unobstructed grille just looks great tome. The 69 style has fallen to a distant third place for me now.

alfaitalia

Sounds good to me. Similar to my plans for my non number car. Even if it was matching numbers I would think long and hard about not modding it. I bought the car for me to drive and enjoy.....not for some geek with a clipboard (sorry all members who are geeks with clipboards!!) to tell me that I have the wrong metal washer on my woggle valve!!! So I want it to drive and go the way I want it too....I'm not into the modern engine thing so it will be a blown 440 for me!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

sean257

Looks good.  I like the thought of a modern engine too.
Changing it from a 70 to a 69, well I guess that helps make the 70's more rare...

darbgnik

1970 is my favorite Gen 2, with the 68 grille and 69 rear coming in second. The full blacked out grille on the 70, with the rectangular tail lights is the best factory combination in my eyes, without making a Frankenstein 68/69 car.

If you're serious about converting it to a 69, if the fenders are as good as you say they are, they can fetch more than the 69 fenders. The repro 69 grille is cheaper than the 70 as well, and the 70 grille should fetch decent money as well. The 70 hood is handy to those making Daytona clones, as well as the fenders. But having most of your customers south of the border makes shipping prohibitive.

I would sell this one and buy a 69, but that's me. Easiest solution, as long as you don't mind being Charger free, briefly, after you sell yours, and hunt for a 69.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

charger_fan_4ever

Imo the car in question would be to just drive it as is. Maybe some minor touch ups/improvements if need be. More often than not cars that were drivers got taken in for a "quick make over" have been torn apart never to see daylight for 10 years or ever.