News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinion on this 70

Started by spoolinhard, January 07, 2017, 10:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoolinhard

Quote from: Dino on January 08, 2017, 04:00:55 AM
I know it's a bit more rare than the average green 318 but damn that's a lot of money for a rusty puzzle with missing pieces. Important ones at that. I suppose these cars are selling for a lot of money lately and you can do worse, but that car will cost you way more in the long run than buying one that's done. If that doesn't bother you and maybe you know how to do the work yourself then I can see this being a good project. However if you feel you couldn't get this back on the road yourself then honestly I'd save up as much as possible and buy one that's a bit closer to the turn key stage. If numbers don't matter to you, and I totally get that as I'm the same, then you shouldn't have a horrible time finding a better candidate. Is a high impact color 70 what you want or would you be settling?

I guess I didn't do too bad when I bought mine for $15K in late 2011...  :o
I'm a bit of magician when it comes to metalworking, so yes, I do body/paint work. I can also rebuild engines. I love the color, love the fact that it's a 4 speed, love the fact that it's an r/t

spoolinhard

Quote from: polywideblock on January 08, 2017, 05:08:08 AM
did you see this one   http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Charger-Black-/291990476062?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43fbfd151e:g:ZBQAAOSwjDZYazbY&item=291990476062
I did see that one. That one has the fact that it's in original paint and mostly assembled going for it. Also that it has the Dana and 4 speed still in it. Other than that, that rear window is scary as hell; speaking from experience on that one. Rear half of the car is fairly rotted.

Dino

Quote from: spoolinhard on January 08, 2017, 08:45:41 AM
Quote from: Dino on January 08, 2017, 04:00:55 AM
I know it's a bit more rare than the average green 318 but damn that's a lot of money for a rusty puzzle with missing pieces. Important ones at that. I suppose these cars are selling for a lot of money lately and you can do worse, but that car will cost you way more in the long run than buying one that's done. If that doesn't bother you and maybe you know how to do the work yourself then I can see this being a good project. However if you feel you couldn't get this back on the road yourself then honestly I'd save up as much as possible and buy one that's a bit closer to the turn key stage. If numbers don't matter to you, and I totally get that as I'm the same, then you shouldn't have a horrible time finding a better candidate. Is a high impact color 70 what you want or would you be settling?

I guess I didn't do too bad when I bought mine for $15K in late 2011...  :o
I'm a bit of magician when it comes to metalworking, so yes, I do body/paint work. I can also rebuild engines. I love the color, love the fact that it's a 4 speed, love the fact that it's an r/t

I used to be in auto body so I see where you're coming from. If you enjoy rebuilding a car then go look at this one and see if you can strike a deal!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Moparpoolman

I think the first one XS29U0G234773 looks a little more solid and would be my first choice, It's easier to find a Dana and and a 18 spline trans than clean doors, hood, trunk lid, fenders, not to mention the area around the rear window and rear taillight panel work needed on the second car XS29UGO141773

spoolinhard

I spoke with the seller earlier. 440hp is a complete longblock. Missing the correct carb, has the correct air cleaner. Interior is complete, the spare front sheetmetal sounds extremely nice. Does not have radiator, non posi 8 3/4. Has the drive shaft, taillights and trim panel. Comes with 2 grilles. One nicer than the other. All trim is there. Selling to pay expenses of relocating his resto shop.

spoolinhard

Came from Georgia, been off the road since at least the early 80's. Most work sounds like the trunk floor. Unfortunately I am out of town for work right now. I get back at the end of the month. Am definately going to take a look at it if not sold by then.

darbgnik

Sounds like the first one is an exciting proposition. Factory high impact color, 4 speed R/T, but no numbers matching drivetrain.

It's a nicely optioned car, but the missing drivetrain means  that you don't have to bring it back to original. Leaves some fun decisions on the table. If it's reasonably solid anyway.

Smartest money will always be buying one done. I know this to be true, but bought one to play with, myself. All my other vehicles are either too expensive or too new to dink around with. But I will admit I went a little overboard, getting a show quality paint job over all new sheetmetal on a lowly 70 Charger 500, original 318 car. But then again, I think they all deserve to live.....
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

spoolinhard

I just got additional pics of the car. It's quite a bit rustier than shown. Pretty much all of the floors need replaced except under the rear seat and the drivers front floor and even then it is probably going to need a patch.The battery looks to have caught on fire in the past, all of the wiring is without plastic covering in the area from being burnt, horrendous rot hole where the battery was, the rest of the panel is heavily pitted from fire. Has a 69 guaged cluster. Rear window area looks very questionable.                

I have a 70 r/t clone I'm building that is much further along. There is nothing this car has or comes with that I don't have better of, only the numbers. Looks like I will be sticking with a clone :-\

marshallfry01

I feel like you made a good decision. I'm not a numbers guy so I'd be happy with a solid clone  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

fastmark

My fear in buying a done car is showing up to look at a " nice" done car finding it was a rusty car that was not properly fixed. I'm lucky to have some cars with no rust issues at all as both projects and survivors.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: fastmark on January 11, 2017, 07:53:51 AM
My fear in buying a done car is showing up to look at a " nice" done car finding it was a rusty car that was not properly fixed. I'm lucky to have some cars with no rust issues at all as both projects and survivors.

I think that's a big problem in the hobby nowadays. LEON.