News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cookie Monster - 1968 Charger

Started by Arbitrage123, January 09, 2017, 08:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
A QQ1 blue interior stripe delete non-vinyl topped car.   OEM baby!  :2thumbs:  Yea, with the blue interior it's a lot of blue but sweet car.  :Twocents:

http://www.andy440.com/tag.htm

Quote from: Arbitrage123 on January 10, 2017, 09:09:17 AM

Both the exterior and interior were originally blue, here is the fender tag. Previous owner had it painted black in 1992. I am thinking of bringing it back to the original, not sure yet.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

tan top

Quote from: ht4spd307 on January 10, 2017, 10:18:58 PM
Quote from: tan top on January 10, 2017, 07:23:09 PM
  Hello &  welcome  :cheers: :cheers:   :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

WD40 , would be my first try to get the glue  off ,  failing that   try  paint shop degreaser / panel wipe .
not trying to out shine you but I've been a motor trimmer (auto upholsterer) for 30 +years and mineral turps is  what we use to remove contact adhesive glue from vinyl or cloth with no damage to the surface of the door trim or seat wd40 wont damage the vinyl but will leave an oily residue. paint shop panel wipe will damage the vinyl as it softness the surface of the vinyl and in turn can removed the color   .if you need something a bit stronger use white spirits but try it in a spot were its not noticeable just in case  :2thumbs: but if another type of glue has been used which hardens your pretty well stuffed and it wont matter what you use as your not going to get it off with out damage

No no your ok  ( ht4spd307)    :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: ,
I see what your saying . to be honest , sorry I missed your first post ! ( sometimes I scroll down too fast & miss posts altogether by accident .)
i'm by no means a dedicated auto upholsterer , first  mainly i'm a mechanic & body & paint guy for 30 years , but I do auto trimming too , while I've fitted lots of vinyl tops , countless headliners , seat covers , interiors & repairs etc , I've not had the experience of having to  remove lots of upholstery / trim glue from where is should not be ... only  the odd fresh splatter or spots etc , soo I dont know all the tricks of that particular trade so to speak. yes terpinetine  /mineral /white sprits ,  is good ! , have used it in the past when removing vinyl top glue . soak a suitable rag with it  , then wipe it on the glue & rub it off , ( normally the glue rolls off kind of like bubble gum.)
  I've used WD40 the same way in the past , soak a rag with it , then rub the glue  , normally it rolls off the same way ( kind of ). then use sprit / panel wipe / paint shop degreaser to clean up the WD40 greasy / gluey residue .
  have also used  sprit panel wipe / paint shop degreaser to do the same , soak cloth ! rub glue area .
I know what your saying about solvents , they can / will damage plastics & vinyls .  never had a problem with a fast sprit / panel wipe my self , but !then again its dependent on the cloth your using & how hard your rubbing etc ,  it can damage them if your not careful. don't think I would use a slow sprit/ panel wipe , being slow at evaporating , I've found them to be a slightly more aggressive pre cleaner (slightly different chemicals in the mix who knows )
also any lacquer thinner / reducer , will damage plastics / vinyls , ( it sort of dries them out & makes them brittle / hard  or white or melts / makes them go soft or all ) a quick wipe! is ok on  some interior plastics / vinyl , if you neutralise it straight away as I call it , with water  ( wipe it with wet cloth). nother thing to try is ! if the glue is old & or really hard , sometimes warming it up with a hair dryer a little first helps soften the glue  , before using the above methods . once again there are soo many variables , its difficult trying to describe stuff over the internet , with out actually being there( well for me anyways)  its not like I can try this  , or try that if it don't work !! i'm only going by what has worked for me in the past .
  I never mentioned the white / mineral sprit deal, because IMO you can never get rid of the smell & or it takes a long time to go in confined spaces ( inside a car )  compared to a sprit wipe smell  , although this over sensitive to smells could  just be be me , working with paints solvents fuels all these years :icon_smile_blackeye: :P
  looking at all the pictures again , I think  all this  glue will be difficult if not impossible to  completely remove , with out damaging the vinyl , hope i'm wrong ...

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

Speaking of, it's a little known fact that WD40 is also used as butter on movie theater popcorn.  

Arbitrage123

Quote from: tan top on January 11, 2017, 05:49:10 PM
Quote from: ht4spd307 on January 10, 2017, 10:18:58 PM
Quote from: tan top on January 10, 2017, 07:23:09 PM
 Hello &  welcome  :cheers: :cheers:   :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

WD40 , would be my first try to get the glue  off ,  failing that   try  paint shop degreaser / panel wipe .
not trying to out shine you but I've been a motor trimmer (auto upholsterer) for 30 +years and mineral turps is  what we use to remove contact adhesive glue from vinyl or cloth with no damage to the surface of the door trim or seat wd40 wont damage the vinyl but will leave an oily residue. paint shop panel wipe will damage the vinyl as it softness the surface of the vinyl and in turn can removed the color   .if you need something a bit stronger use white spirits but try it in a spot were its not noticeable just in case  :2thumbs: but if another type of glue has been used which hardens your pretty well stuffed and it wont matter what you use as your not going to get it off with out damage

No no your ok  ( ht4spd307)    :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: ,

I see what your saying . to be honest , sorry I missed your first post ! ( sometimes I scroll down too fast & miss posts altogether by accident .)
i'm by no means a dedicated auto upholsterer , first  mainly i'm a mechanic & body & paint guy for 30 years , but I do auto trimming too , while I've fitted lots of vinyl tops , countless headliners , seat covers , interiors & repairs etc , I've not had the experience of having to  remove lots of upholstery / trim glue from where is should not be ... only  the odd fresh splatter or spots etc , soo I dont know all the tricks of that particular trade so to speak. yes terpinetine  /mineral /white sprits ,  is good ! , have used it in the past when removing vinyl top glue . soak a suitable rag with it  , then wipe it on the glue & rub it off , ( normally the glue rolls off kind of like bubble gum.)
 I've used WD40 the same way in the past , soak a rag with it , then rub the glue  , normally it rolls off the same way ( kind of ). then use sprit / panel wipe / paint shop degreaser to clean up the WD40 greasy / gluey residue .
 have also used  sprit panel wipe / paint shop degreaser to do the same , soak cloth ! rub glue area .
I know what your saying about solvents , they can / will damage plastics & vinyls .  never had a problem with a fast sprit / panel wipe my self , but !then again its dependent on the cloth your using & how hard your rubbing etc ,  it can damage them if your not careful. don't think I would use a slow sprit/ panel wipe , being slow at evaporating , I've found them to be a slightly more aggressive pre cleaner (slightly different chemicals in the mix who knows )
also any lacquer thinner / reducer , will damage plastics / vinyls , ( it sort of dries them out & makes them brittle / hard  or white or melts / makes them go soft or all ) a quick wipe! is ok on  some interior plastics / vinyl , if you neutralise it straight away as I call it , with water  ( wipe it with wet cloth). nother thing to try is ! if the glue is old & or really hard , sometimes warming it up with a hair dryer a little first helps soften the glue  , before using the above methods . once again there are soo many variables , its difficult trying to describe stuff over the internet , with out actually being there( well for me anyways)  its not like I can try this  , or try that if it don't work !! i'm only going by what has worked for me in the past .
 I never mentioned the white / mineral sprit deal, because IMO you can never get rid of the smell & or it takes a long time to go in confined spaces ( inside a car )  compared to a sprit wipe smell  , although this over sensitive to smells could  just be be me , working with paints solvents fuels all these years :icon_smile_blackeye: :P
 looking at all the pictures again , I think  all this  glue will be difficult if not impossible to  completely remove , with out damaging the vinyl , hope i'm wrong ...

Thanks for all the comments and responses. Going to try and salvage what I can. If it looks like it's completely shot I might just go black throughout. It's easier to find parts as well.

500Jon

Blue on Blue Charger is the Cream of the Crop to some Folks like me!

To others a Blue WHALE... :slap:

Why is it we never end up with the Charger we really want??? :pity:
Seems most Folks want a 69 but me I would prefer a 68 or a 70.
Why did I end up with all green Chargers when all I wanted was a BLUE one?
Why did someone buy a Blue Charger and paint in Black??? :shruggy:

WHY ON EARTH WOULD SOMEONE SHAGPILE THE WORLDS MOST DESIRABLE MOPAR... :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

As we say in England, '' there's nowt as queer as Folk''.

George Michael rip...I'm sure he would have liked a bit of shag?
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

alfaitalia

LOL!....half the reason I bought an non numbers resto with no real history...or interior!!....I can make into what I would have bought originally!! Not that they supplied blown 69 Chargers from the factory!! To be honest I would have bought a 68 if one had come along at the right cash.....then converted it to look like a 69....that way I would have got the 68s nicer wing (OK fender!!) marker lights!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

ACUDANUT

Sorry, But the hell, does  '' there's nowt as queer as Folk''.
mean

alfaitalia

Means people are strange.

"Nothing as strange as people"....near enough. Only the strange lot that live up North really use that phrase in the UK.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 500Jon on January 12, 2017, 04:47:18 AM

Seems most Folks want a 69 but me I would prefer a 68 or a 70.

I too prefer 68s, but the thought of a 69 every once in a while is something that I look forward to.