News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much lift for stock rocker assemblies?

Started by Mastodon08, January 30, 2017, 09:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mastodon08

I am planning to run a cam that has .545" lift. I've heard a guy say he ran .560" life with no problem on stock rockers. Just wondering what you gentlemen think on this topic.

Thank you and God bless

PRH

The biggest issue(imo) with running "stock" rockers and high lift cams is...... Usually high lift cams require increased spring loads to keep the valvetrain under control.
Higher spring loads, especially when combined with modern fast rate lobes seem to take their toll on the OE rockers pushrod sockets. I have seen a number of these fail in that area, where the pushrod basically ends up poking a hole through the rocker.
Mopar used to sell HD stock type rockers to help with this, but they haven't been produced in quite a few years.

IMO, the rockers aren't really the right place to scrimp.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

Mastodon08

What do you think of the Sealed Power Steel Rocker Arms R-828 that Summit sells?

c00nhunterjoe

Post a picture of the cam card for the cam you are using.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Mastodon08 on January 31, 2017, 06:44:04 AM
What do you think of the Sealed Power Steel Rocker Arms R-828 that Summit sells?

Those are stock replacement

Mastodon08

Well, I don't have the cam yet, but the specs are as follows:
Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,500-6,200
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 247
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241 int./247 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 285
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 297
Advertised Duration: 285 int./297 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.545 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.545 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.545 int./0.545 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
Camshaft Gear Attachment: 1-bolt

I'm not sure I'm going with this one anymore. After doing some reading online about it, there were some people saying it wore out rather quickly or something like that...worn lobe...

I'm thinking something like the COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits K21-225-4 from Summit. Little bit lower lift. .507/.510

BSB67

Recommendation:
Get clear on your budget, and goals for the car, and then call a professional. There are several on this site.  Have them balance your budget/goals and have them recommend a complete cam/valve train package.

As an example, if you are building a stockish motor, with factory heads, there is really not much reason to go with a lift over 0.500", and IMO no need for the "fast" rate cam profiles.  That leads to more simplistic valve train parts that won't get beat up.  Alternatively, if you have good aftermarket heads and don't want to leave a drop of power on the table, you should go a completely different direction.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

fizz

My  :Twocents: What BSB67 said on hiring a professional. And, 2 sets of heads and 3 camshafts later, may I suggest Porter Racing heads. Very happy

Kern Dog

Quote from: BSB67 on February 01, 2017, 07:46:01 AM
Recommendation:
Get clear on your budget, and goals for the car, and then call a professional. There are several on this site.  Have them balance your budget/goals and have them recommend a complete cam/valve train package.

Good advice.
I know a guy that tends to just jump in and do stuff. He makes all sorts of mistakes and sometimes logs on to ask for help. I see the guy every day. He looksa wholelot like me.
That cam is the Comp cam Extreme Energy XE 285HL.  I ran that cam in my 440/493 with Edelbrock heads. I liked it.