News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Truck Restorations...the Internet Gap

Started by cooldude, December 08, 2016, 11:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooldude

I just recently discovered a really good series on Youtube called "Classic Truck Restorations", and its all about a couple that go out and rescue classic Chevy trucks, mostly heavy work trucks from the 1950s, from the crusher. And try to sell them to an owner that will give them a good home,or part them out if they are too far gone.

Sort of like animal rescue for machines, I suppose.

But honestly, its a good series, and interesting. Ive gotten sort of addicted to it. Im a Mopar guy right down to the ground, but I like some of the brand X stuff too, if its old and sorta cool. I can appreciate any old iron.

The show is something pretty good. Its sort of like a reality show for old car enthusiast. Here, Ill post a link to one of the episodes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i18MzxXuOY

I wonder if anyone in the Mopar camp has the technical know how, and the interest in putting up such a Show series about restoring old Mopar trucks on the Youtube?

Otherwise, there will be an "internet gap" , and we cant let that happen.

Lennard

I've seen that couple on the highway a few times, transporting an old relic. They have signs hanging off it saying: "another one rescued" and their Web information.

cooldude

I guess one reason why I like the show is to follow along with the couple, Rick and Jamie, on thier many adventures. They remind me of the sort of people I used to hang out with in my younger days, only we were Mopar people.

I especially liked the episodes where they got forced to live on an undeveloped tract of land, and had to start from scratch in setting up a home for themselves and thier fleet of old vehicles, and that they had to use thier antique vehicles to even build roads and move the entire setup to that place.

No electricity, no water, not even roads. And they had to relocate in like, 30 days or something. Wow!

Sort of like a "Little house on the Prairie meets the 20th century, long after the 20th century has passed."

Yep, the sort of folks that I used to hang out with.

I like them. I think they are interesting and decent folks. Thier show is not just about the cars.

RCCDrew

That's a hobby of mine. Just bought a 93 ramcharger for $300 and got it running. Selling it today for $1900. But I'm not very photogenic.  :icon_smile_big:

cooldude

Ive heard from some of my Mopar truck buddies that the late 80, early 90s full size 4wds were pretty bad to eat front bearings, and they had to be replaced every year or two. Do you agree with that?

RCCDrew

The late 70s FULL TIME 4wd trucks were similar to FWD cars in hub design. The bearings were too close together and wore bearings out. My opinion is to swap out all the parts from the ball joints out with the later design from a Dodge or Chevy with lockout hubs. Or you could replace the whole axle; they are cheap. The 203 transfer can be turned into a part time case or be replaced with a 205 or 208.

The late 80s early 90s were more similar in design to the chevy hubs, and will accept lockout hubs, or already have them.

cooldude

You know, speaking of the Youtube shows about the old trucks again , I saw something on there the other day that made me think a little.

They were under an old 1950s Chevy heavy duty truck fixing the emergency brakes. Only those brakes were not attached to the wheels. It went around the drive shaft. I was wondering if the old Mopars were like that too?

Ive been under quite a few Mopars from the 60s and 70s (cars) and Ive never seen a set up like that.

Did Mopars have the emergency brakes go to the drive shaft back in the 50s?

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

cooldude

You mean the new land rovers are like that too, even now?

I wouldnt have thunk it.