News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to position hydraulic jack?

Started by mx916, November 17, 2016, 11:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mx916

Where on the frame is the best place to position a hydraulic jack?  Also is a one and half ton jack enough for a stock 74 Charger? Thanks for any input.

BLK 68 R/T

What part are you intending on working on? and yes, a 1.5 ton jack should be plenty sufficient to lift front/back of the car up, but you must also use jack stands to support the car. Do not rely on just the jack alone.

mx916

Just asking for future tire removal/brake work.  Thanks, I will be sure to utilize stands as well.

BLK 68 R/T

As long as you place the jack where it will lift under a part of a frame rail or center of the k-member that should suffice. Where the torsion bar crossmember meets the front rails and where the front of the leaf spring mounts to the rear frame rail are good points to use. Also if you are using a small hyd. bottle jack I would recommend a piece of 2 x 4 to help distribute the weight so you don't dent the point where you are lifting. If you are using a regular floor jack it is usually not required. If you have a regular floor jack directly under the k member and the center of the rear axle are the easiest points to lift each end of the car by in my opinion.

mx916

Thank you so much, exactly what I needed to know!