News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I buy a ford mustang?

Started by Bobs69, August 07, 2016, 10:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJMG

I am in my fifties  and grew up and live in the area you bought your car from, my family and I combined easily put 50-60k miles a year. I can tell you the number one issue with winter is the tire contact patch. Trucks are not a fair comparison because the 3/4's come with ten ply hockey pucks and need 3000 pounds just start flexing the sidewall.
I can tell you that in my lifetime I can count on one hand the times we had 12" of snow or more, the problem is more ice not snow.
After many winters of various winter tires, I decided to try the Nokian hakkapelittas. Unreal. My daughter drives on the studded version, almost unstoppable.
Since we travel the USA I decided to outfit the wife's car with the non studded version, truly remarkable.
If you live in an area with similar weather then your car with hakka's and a couple bags of sand or softener salt in the trunk,  you will love driving in winter.
A friend of mine drives a 300 and has been terrified every winter, car would get stuck in a flat parking lot with ice. She FINALLY took my advice and let me put a set of almost new studded tires I found on kijiji. Although would not spend on the Nokian's she could not believe the difference, she even noticed that the traction control barely engages now whereas before the damn light stayed on all winter!

funknut

+1

Proper modern snow tires (and the Nokians are top shelf) will completely change your mind about winter driving.

Even on my wife's FWD minivan, trying to get up our steep driveway with 1/2" of snow we'd end up in the neighbor's lawn half the time with all-season tires.  I got some Falken Eurowinters (on the inexpensive side, but reviewed well) and it is a night and day difference.

For peace of mind, it's about the best money I've ever spent.

Quote from: FJMG on August 17, 2016, 11:10:17 AM
I am in my fifties  and grew up and live in the area you bought your car from, my family and I combined easily put 50-60k miles a year. I can tell you the number one issue with winter is the tire contact patch. Trucks are not a fair comparison because the 3/4's come with ten ply hockey pucks and need 3000 pounds just start flexing the sidewall.
I can tell you that in my lifetime I can count on one hand the times we had 12" of snow or more, the problem is more ice not snow.
After many winters of various winter tires, I decided to try the Nokian hakkapelittas. Unreal. My daughter drives on the studded version, almost unstoppable.
Since we travel the USA I decided to outfit the wife's car with the non studded version, truly remarkable.
If you live in an area with similar weather then your car with hakka's and a couple bags of sand or softener salt in the trunk,  you will love driving in winter.
A friend of mine drives a 300 and has been terrified every winter, car would get stuck in a flat parking lot with ice. She FINALLY took my advice and let me put a set of almost new studded tires I found on kijiji. Although would not spend on the Nokian's she could not believe the difference, she even noticed that the traction control barely engages now whereas before the damn light stayed on all winter!

Bobs69

Quote from: FJMG on August 17, 2016, 11:10:17 AM

I'll tell you what, if you know of a CHEAP, or economical beater that I can trust to start in the winter I may buy it.  This mustang I bought is real sweet actually, the more I think of it, the more I realize what a shame it would be to drive it in the winter.  Having said that, my Accord was MINT, no rust nothing!  So soaking it with Krown helped.

Bobs69