News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car Fobs

Started by flyinlow, September 10, 2016, 08:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Looking at replacing a car. My last new car was a 2012 with keys and a FOB. It had a Valet key you could put in a box and hide on the car so you did not get stranded.

Most of the  cars I am looking at, including the Challengers , have just FOBs with push button starting.

What happens when FOB dies? Is there any way to start the car with out the second FOB?  Valet key?

68CoronetRT

On my wifes newer VW there's a little magnetic pickup(not quite, but same idea. Car is linked to your fob) in the fob itself and when you press it up to where the key would normally go(on the column), it activates the push button start and off you go.

All cars are different, sometimes you put the fob up to the push button itself for it to activate.

As far as getting in the car with a dead fob or battery, every car is different. Corvettes in example use the actual key to open the trunk and then there is a cable you pull that opens the drivers door. :cheers:

Check out this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBK_kNIpZ7A

tcs69rt

My 2011 Challenger has a metal key within the fob that is easily removed to access the car when the battery dies. It does have a push button starter that lifts up so you can insert a metal key.
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

70 sublime

My 2016 Ram has a metal key inside the key fob that you can use to unlock the doors with (never tried to start it with it)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Ponch ®

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on September 10, 2016, 08:24:04 AM
On my wifes newer VW there's a little magnetic pickup(not quite, but same idea. Car is linked to your fob) in the fob itself and when you press it up to where the key would normally go(on the column), it activates the push button start and off you go.

I believe recent FCA cars with the "keyless" fob have the same feature. Havent used it (thankfully) so I cant verify it, but i read something about it on the newer car forums.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

flyinlow

Thanks for the info.  :2thumbs:

It is good to know there is a mechanical back up.

green69rt

We have a friend that has a Prius.  Don't ask.  The battery died.  The only way to get to the car was to crawl into the trunk and release the doors.  Don't know if it is true but sounds like a PITA!

Gone are the days of strapping tape and a screwdriver.....