News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you use the original jack or do you have another solution for flat tires

Started by XH29N0G, July 23, 2016, 03:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I don't know why I thought of this today, but as I was out on my Saturday drive, I thought what if I get a flat tire.  I didn't.  But I also thought, I wonder if would make more sense to have another type of jack - something different than the 47 year old one I have in the trunk.

So I thought I would ask.  Do others use a different jack, or just use the old original? 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Brock Lee

I keep a "breakdown" bag in the trunk that contains a hydraulic floor jack, basic tools, spare belts, ballast resistors, fuses, oil, and a small assortment of stuff like a 20' spool of wire, some ends, a crimper tool, and some other misc stuff.

green69rt

Quote from: Brock Lee on July 23, 2016, 03:26:40 PM
I keep a "breakdown" bag in the trunk that contains a hydraulic floor jack, basic tools, spare belts, ballast resistors, fuses, oil, and a small assortment of stuff like a 20' spool of wire, some ends, a crimper tool, and some other misc stuff.

That sounds like a pretty robust breakdown kit.  Only other thing I can think of is HP tape and a roll of paper towels.

XH29N0G

Quote from: Brock Lee on July 23, 2016, 03:26:40 PM

I was wondering about doing that.  I guess I need a small hydraulic floor jack   :icon_smile_big: 

Or maybe it protects us. 

Sublime/Sixpack

Personally I only carry the factory original type jack in my cars. Based on past experience it's unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) that you'll have a tire go flat while out driving your car. I occasionally pick up a nail or small screw in one of my tires but only notice it when I see the tire is low on air a few days after I had driven the car.
Plus I have Road Hazard Coverage through my Insurance Company. If I have a flat while on the road they'll come flat bed the car home. If all else fails I'd get the bumper jack out and use it.
If you do decide to carry a floor jack in your trunk I suggest you secure in place VERY WELL, or you could put one heck of a dent in either of your quarter panels.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on July 23, 2016, 04:59:55 PM
Personally I only carry the factory original type jack in my cars. Based on past experience it's unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) that you'll have a tire go flat while out driving your car. I occasionally pick up a nail or small screw in one of my tires but only notice it when I see the tire is low on air a few days after I had driven the car.
Plus I have Road Hazard Coverage through my Insurance Company. If I have a flat while on the road they'll come flat bed the car home. If all else fails I'd get the bumper jack out and use it.
If you do decide to carry a floor jack in your trunk I suggest you secure in place VERY WELL, or you could put one heck of a dent in either of your quarter panels.

Makes sense. I'll add that if you decide to carry a jack, a small bottle jack with a section of 2X4 will do nicely and usually fit easily without the danger of a floor jack rolling around. Definitely secure everything. I have AAA and typically use that if an issue occurs.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

XH29N0G

Thanks, all of this makes sense.   For some reason I read what you wrote as "if you decide to carry a jack, carry a small bottle of Jack"  Did a double take and then see it is a bottle jack - which would be easier space wise. :cheers:

Concerning the likelihood of a flat on the road, I hadn't thought of that.  I can't remember the last time I had to change a tire on the road. You are right that the only tires I have changed have been after the car has sat at home for a while at home after picking up a nail or screw.  

Or maybe it protects us. 

Mike DC

I think the OEMs have it right - big scissor type jacks are the best for side-of-the-road stuff.  The only problem is their bottom plates are never big enough for my comfort zone.  Weld a larger plate on the bottom of one.  Make sure the top lifting plate is decent too.  

Is a hydraulic jack better?  Yeah, definitely, in the garage.  But they are on the big/heavy side for a permanent trunk item.  I want a roadside jack tall enough to get a little bit of space underneath.  By the time a hydraulic jack goes up very high it's pretty big.  Even the aluminum ones take up a lot of space.

And, do you use a hydraulic jack in the garage without jackstands?  I don't.   The hydraulic fluid & seals are a few more variables that scissor jacks don't have.  I'm not gonna carry a pair of jackstands in the trunk all the time too.  

Alaskan_TA

Mike DC

Another lesson I've learned the hard way - whatever is in your roadside breakdown kit, make sure none of the tools are better than your primary ones.  The nicest one you have always ends up staying at home in the garage.    

b5blue

I bought a scissor jack, collapsible nut wrench and tool box it all fits into for my trunk kit.  :yesnod:

68Charger4me

I grabbed a scissors jack out of a Durango when I was in the local boneyard.

ITSA426

AAA card and a cell phone are about all I carry on local trips.  I've carried more, but it just gets in the way of enjoying the trip.  First thing to grab out of the trunk is usually a lawn chair or a cooler.  That said, I like to have a fire extinguisher behind the passenger seat.  Fire travels faster than a tow truck.

BrianShaughnessy

Repro bumpers don't have the slot in them for the stock jack anyway...   It was fine 35 years ago when I didn't know better.    Things change.

Black Betty has a tool kit bag with the small aluminum hydraulic jack from harbor freight which is much better than the 2 ton one that came in the kit originally years ago.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

NHCharger

I have a tool kit that I always put in whichever car I'm taking. It includes a small floor jack.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Back N Black

I carry a small floor jack 1.5 ton and enough parts to pretty much rebuild it on the side of the road.

1. complete dist
2. coil
3. ballast resistor
4. voltage regulator
5. extra plugs
6. fusible link
7. starter relay
8. jumper cables
9. fluids
I have Road side assistance, but its really embarrassing having your car dropped off at home on a flat bed, for me its the last resort.

XH29N0G

That is a good list.  I have some of those things, but others make sense.  I used to carry a similar kit (in the 1980's I used the car as my main transportation and on long trips and I could fix/replace most things with what I had in the trunk), but now my trunk looks nice and I didn't think of stocking it.  I just picked up a jack (also for my other car which had a broken one).

Or maybe it protects us. 

Brock Lee

The bag I use was an old sort of duffle bag with a hard bottom. It kept the sharp stuff from coming through and screwing up the floor. It usually will lay right inside my full sized spare rim. The funny thing is once I put that thing in the back, it never has been used for my car. It has been used for other peoples a few times. But I bet the first time it goes out without it is when something will happen...lol.

Argos_Chargers

I have used a number of different jacks.  I found that if you are not on a relatively flat surface, the factory jack can become VERY  unstable very quickly.  I still carry the original with the original tire iron, but on any long distance trips I take a hydraulic rolling floor jack (I keep it on the floorboard of the back seat) and a complete tool kit (weighs about 80 lbs).  It is amazing how many places you go where there is no cell reception.  I enjoy lnog road trips, and I try to be prepared.
MoPar -- The only way to fly!

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.