News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do YOU keep the Mopar fire lit?

Started by 6spd68, August 03, 2016, 03:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6spd68

As I slowly go through the expensive process of restoring my Charger, I seem to keep going through dull phases.  They tend to make me wonder if going through all this trouble, and expenses is really worth it in the end?  Some days I'm really excited about the car, and what it could be.  Others, I ponder just selling what I have, and walking away.  So I ask members here; What have you done to keep your fire lit while restoring your vehicle?  I'm sure there are others here that have felt similar?  Stories are greatly appreciated.  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

crj1968

For me it is all about finding the next car.

For 30 years I have hunted and found the car I "gotta have."  I even told myself; "This one, I am just keeping forever..." But that never happens. I can't help myself and go through phases of liking Exner cars, then A bodies, then B bodies, AMX, maybe even a Ford Falcon here and there.....

I've never really got attached to one single car, I suppose if I had one passed down through my dad or someone that would be different.

I know I don't have the patience or will to do a full on restoration (or the cash for that matter)
Most my projects have been pretty decent rollers and I've just dropped drive trains in them and all the small stuff. Once I get them road worthy I am pretty much done and satisfied...and I start looking around again. My wife thinks I'm crazy....but it's better than sitting around watching TV. 

nvrbdn

yep, had the same feelings from time to time as I worked on my car for 15 years. worked on it here and there, but took lots of breaks. that's where my handle came from. my son wrote NVRBDN1 in the dust on the windshield and said... know what that means? its your license plate. Never be done. Well, I just kept at it slowly, then one day I was ready for paint. that was a real boost. then a year later putting the engine in.  Then pulling it back out to put a different cam in it. all in all, I didn't rush it. didn't beat myself up when I didn't feel like working on it. and after 15 years I drove it. Then you will understand what it was all about. all the attention at gas stations and burger joints. all the thumbs-ups while cruising around. here is mine when I found it, and today.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

green69rt

I step away from the restoration periodically.  No set schedule just whenever I get tired of working on it or run into something that I don't know how to do or that I need to redo.  I also try not to concentrate on getting the whole thing done, although I look forward to driving it.  I'd be really depressed if I thought about the work left, I just think about getting the immediate task done.  Right now I'm into body filler, high build primer and blocking.  I call it "baloney slicing".  Just take a slice at a time.

I also spend some time on here, reading of all the restorations going on and it inspires me to not give up.

Daytona R/T SE

I've been on a little break from working on the car...

Since December.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

70 sublime

Quote from: 6spd68 on August 03, 2016, 03:26:17 PM
As I slowly go through the expensive process of restoring my Charger, I seem to keep going through dull phases.  They tend to make me wonder if going through all this trouble, and expenses is really worth it in the end?  Some days I'm really excited about the car, and what it could be.  Others, I ponder just selling what I have, and walking away.  So I ask members here; What have you done to keep your fire lit while restoring your vehicle?  I'm sure there are others here that have felt similar?  Stories are greatly appreciated.  :2thumbs:

I tell you what
I am willing to help you out

Get 4 wheels on your car and pile all the junk I mean spare parts in it and I will be by with the trailer in a couple days
You can pretend you sold it and out of your hair
If after a year or two you have forgotten about it I will just claim it for storage  :icon_smile_big:

Right now I am a little sad I sold my green 70 as I have nothing to drive at the moment
After spending a year and a half on it the car was to the point where I could drive it (still more things to do) but was like so what to do now stage
I am now working on a 69 Charger off and on
I seem to have more fun when the car is in the shop then when it is in the garage
Just enjoy the journey

But just let me know when I need to hook up the trailer and I will swing by if you think you need to move it out of sight for a while 

David
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Sublime/Sixpack

Pure passion for these cars is what kept me going.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Lennard

Tjader

My no 1 tip is actually two tips that are closely related...

1: Concentrate at one thing at the time. If you, for example,  are working on your left front fender, do that and forget about the other fender and the rest of the entire car while working on that fender. Break down your project to small activities that you can handle. Make a list of activities and cross them as they become completed. That way you don't risk getting overwhelmed by the ammount of work ahead and you boost your confidence everytime you mark an activity as completed. 

2: Try to always keep the project moving ahead. It doesn't have to be great progress all the time, rather I feel that just a little but constant progress is the key to reaching the finishing line. Even waiting on ordered parts or researhing the web for info is, in my point of view, progress. Also saving up some money to be able to buy what you need for the next step is progress.  Steady wins the race.... :Twocents: :cheers:

Richard Cranium

Quote from: 6spd68 on August 03, 2016, 03:26:17 PM

No fire here, just a glutton for punishment.   :image_294343:
I am Dr. Remulac

brad mcintyre

68pplcharger

If this is your first time doing a total resto it can be over whelming. The thing that always lit my fire was seeing the progress. I have been doing this for thirty years so I know what the finished project always looks like and that always keeps me motivated. Best thing I can advise for a beginner is have a finished picture/s of the car the way you want it and keep moving. It's like no other feeling when you finish the project and drive the car for the first time. People of all ages come out of the woodwork to ask/be around the car. Lets you know your effort is appreciated by more than just you.  :Twocents: