News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What gear ratio do I have?

Started by Dreamcar, June 06, 2016, 11:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I've changed the subject line as I realised it may be misleading...

Right now, the rear-end from my 69 383-4 is sitting in a corner of my garage and will need a once-over and potential rebuild. Is there any way of knowing approximately what gear ratio is in it right now by spinning it by hand and whether or not it's a sure-grip? It's a 489 case and the car came with the A35 Tow Package. 

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Dreamcar

I thought I read somewhere that by spinning the yoke and counting the rotations at the wheel it would give you an approximate idea. Is this true?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

70 sublime

If you turn the wheel 10 times then count how many times the yoke turns will tell you

wheel 10 times and yoke 32 and a bit is 3.23

wheel 10 times and yoke 27 and half is 2.76

If you are lucky you might find a small metal tag sticking out from under one of the bolts that hold the center section into the rear end with the numbers stamped on it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dreamcar

chargd72

Or you can divide those number by 10.  Spin wheel 1 time and yoke spins 3.2 times you have 3.23 etc.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

John_Kunkel

Turn one drum/axle to make sure the rear end isn't locked up. When turning one drum, if the other drum turns in the same direction it's Sure-Grip, if not it's an open differential.

With Sure-Grip, simply turn either drum one full turn and count the turns of the pinion yoke, the number of turns of the pinion is your ratio. (for example, 3 1/4 turns is 3.23 axle ratio)

With an open differential, hold one drum from turning and turn the other drum two full turns and count the turns of the pinion.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dreamcar

So when I got home, I unburried the diff laying in the corner and turns out it still has the small tag with the ratio written on it...3.23, but non-suregrip.