News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would this torque converter be suitable?

Started by mhinders, June 04, 2016, 04:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhinders

Due to a bad mini-starter I damaged the converter as well, and would like to know what you think would be suitable.

512 cui
12.4 static comp
about 9.2 dynamic comp
2.91 rear sure grip
TF-2 shift kit, bands and clutches beefed up, bolt-in sprague etc.
Cam is a fairly mild Lunati xxx703 (http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1579&gid=362)
Stealth unported heads with 1.6 roller rockers
Mopar M1 single plane intake with E85 port injection.

Car (67 Charger) is street driven with the occasional burnout.

Do you think this converter B&M 10415 - B&M Holeshot Torque Converter would be suitable?
http://www.jegs.com/i/B%26amp%3BM/130/10415/10002/-1

Or would something else be better?
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Kern Dog

12.4 compression? Really???
That engine will rattle itself to death before too long. Holy crap! Why build so much squeeze for a street car?

mhinders

Yes, I was expecting irrelevant comments.
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Kern Dog

Ok, I did just see the E85 injection. I missed that before, sorry.
Your build is so far from what most have done, coming here to ask for advice will not get you the best help. A trusted professional should be the first call. I went with Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts. Great guy, great service. I have a 440/493 in my Charger and time after time, online "experts" suggested a stall rating much higher than I thought I needed. I love to hammer the car but also like to cruise the freeways. A 3000-3500 stall was suggested and I did run a 3000 stall for awhile. It made the car lazy and loose feeling at freeway speeds. It ran like a raped ape at WOT though.
I told Lenny that I wanted a stall rating that would work with all the types of driving that I do. He built me an 11" converter that allows the car to feel responsive at any rpm.
Good luck.

c00nhunterjoe

What are the rest of the specs on the cam? Ivc specifically. I dont think this is enough overlap to get the 12.4 down to 9.2. That aside, yes the holeshot will be fine with 2.91 gears and that cam.

RECHRGD

For what it's worth, I run a Turbo Action "tight" 10 inch converter behind my mildly built 446 and love it.  It feels like a stock unit until you put the hammer down.  It stalls at about 3,400 rpm with my engine.  I have 3.55 gears and a Gear Vendors O/D unit that drops it to around 2.76 on the highway and the converter feels fine, not sluggish at all.  The tranny never overheats (use a separate cooler) and it's going on ten years old.....
13.53 @ 105.32

justcruisin

I used that converter behind my e-head 448, I found it to be sluggish with spirited acceleration, if you floored the throttle it would stall out at 3200 behind my engine and pull well. I found it to have around 10% slip with my 3.23 gears @ 60mph.
I think you could do better but I'm not the guy to recommend what would work best.

RECHRGD

Quote from: justcruisin on June 05, 2016, 07:10:00 PM
I used that converter behind my e-head 448, I found it to be sluggish with spirited acceleration, if you floored the throttle it would stall out at 3200 behind my engine and pull well. I found it to have around 10% slip with my 3.23 gears @ 60mph.
I think you could do better but I'm not the guy to recommend what would work best.

I assume you're referring to the original post.....
13.53 @ 105.32

justcruisin

Yes, correct, the b&m holeshot, just another point on it - it has 5/16" bolt pads. If you engine has any balls you may rip them off. I had 7/16" pads fitted to mine.

mhinders

Thanks for the good inputs guys. No worries Korn Dog, all good.  :2thumbs:

Yes c00nhunterjoe, you might be right regarding the dynamic comp. It's already some 2-3 years since I built this engine, and at the time I calculated the intake closing valve to 60 degrees ABDC. Without checking my papers I think that I in the end chose a somewhat thicker head gasket, ending up with a static comp somewhat lower than mentioned. I calculated the dynamic comp somewhat higher than I mentioned, so it seems you are right!

Good point about bolt size, that's something I need to consider as well, and compatibility with the flexplate.

Thanks guys, picking a converter and getting it right the first time is not easy.  :2thumbs:
Martin

chargd72

Give PTC a call and talk to Lane.  They have a 9.5" converter that gets large cam cars out of the hole and are great for highway cruising.  I just ordered one with a 2800-3000 stall for my supercharged 408.  Haven't received it yet but all the reviews I've heard are that they feel like they are locked up when cruising. 

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

c00nhunterjoe

Call ed. Great guy, know him personally. Been building converters longer then ive been alive.
http://www.selecttransmissions.com/index.html

firefighter3931

With a stroker making in the 600 ft/lb torque area you need something stronger than an "off the shelf" converter. As for the sizing (diameter) an 11in or tight 10in unit would fit the bill. You want efficiency and don't need a lot of stall speed with the current engine combination. A 2500 stall would be plenty with that cam in a 500in based build.

PTC or Turbo Action would be my choice  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mhinders

Thanks guys, your inputs are much appreciated.  :2thumbs:
Martin