News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb advice wanted....

Started by C500, May 17, 2016, 02:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Quote from: Charger_Dart on May 18, 2016, 12:25:12 PM
If your interested in a Proform 750, I have a nice used 67213 that I was getting ready to list on Ebay but would rather sell it to another member here. PM me if your interested.
Mike

Definitely keen on a Proform, but would like one new outta the box. Yours is a double pumper?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

firefighter3931

Quote from: C500 on May 18, 2016, 02:03:06 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 18, 2016, 07:23:04 AM
Hi Duncan,

Good to see the build coming together  :2thumbs:

My buddy Dennis has almost the exact same build using the HDP 271/CH4B/HP manifolds and I recommended the ProForm 750 street series carb for his combo. The car runs fantastic and even gets 15mpg on the hwy cruising at 60 mph.  :yesnod:

Ron

Thanks Ron... do you know if your buddy has the vacuum or mechanical secondary?

His is the double pumper (mechanical secondary)  :yesnod:

The 67213 PF carb that ChargerDart has for sale is the one I would recommend for yours. It even has an adjustable electric choke  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

C500

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 18, 2016, 03:14:17 PM
Hi Duncan,

My buddy Dennis has almost the exact same build using the HDP 271/CH4B/HP manifolds and I recommended the ProForm 750 street series carb for his combo. The car runs fantastic and even gets 15mpg on the hwy cruising at 60 mph.  :yesnod:

Ron

The 67213 PF carb that ChargerDart has for sale is the one I would recommend for yours. It even has an adjustable electric choke  :2thumbs:

Ron

Ron - why would a mechanical be better for mine over a vacuum secondary (67213 is mechanical)?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

firefighter3931

Quote from: C500 on May 18, 2016, 03:28:05 PM
Hi Duncan,

Ron

Ron

Ron - why would a mechanical be better for mine over a vacuum secondary (67213 is mechanical)?

Throttle response is allways much sharper with a double pumper once they're tuned.  :icon_smile_big:

A 750 cfm DP carb is fine on a 440 with a dual plane intake manifold and it's not too much carb contrary to popular belief  ;)

Yes, the 67213 is a mechanical secondary street series carb  :yesnod:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pro-67213/overview/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

C500

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 18, 2016, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: C500 on May 18, 2016, 03:28:05 PM
Hi Duncan,

Ron

Ron

Throttle response is allways much sharper with a double pumper once they're tuned.  :icon_smile_big:

A 750 cfm DP carb is fine on a 440 with a dual plane intake manifold and it's not too much carb contrary to popular belief  ;)

Yes, the 67213 is a mechanical secondary street series carb  :yesnod:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pro-67213/overview/

Ron

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

XH29N0G

The 67213 is what I would try.  All this talk of fumes with carb somehow brought this to mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w the line about the smell of napalm in the morning.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Fumes come from the lack of converters, not carbs. Cut the cats off of any modern car and guess what..... it smells like gas..... my 92 5.0, 06 silverado, and 07 charger's exhaust all smell just like the 69.
    Im with ron, mild street 440, 750 double pumper of whichever brand you prefer holley, proform or quickfuel.

flyinlow

I had good results with a Quick Fuel Hot Rod series 780 VS. Screw driver adjustable vacuum secondarys , four corner idle mixture adjust, removable air bleeds, all make for easy tuning.  :Twocents:

Yea ,ok, I did replace it with FiTech FI. I can take the carb with me for road trips as a back up.

myk

I wonder if Ron will ever try EFI...

C500

Quote from: flyinlow on May 18, 2016, 08:11:02 PM
I had good results with a Quick Fuel Hot Rod series 780 VS. Screw driver adjustable vacuum secondarys , four corner idle mixture adjust, removable air bleeds, all make for easy tuning.  :Twocents:

Yea ,ok, I did replace it with FiTech FI. I can take the carb with me for road trips as a back up.

How do you rate the Fitech? -any problems?

flyinlow

Problem ; one big one, got it figured out. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,123886.0.html

I only have about 30 miles on it so far. Starts well and it learns. So far ,so good.

69wannabe

I am a carburetor fan myself but I am an efi fan too!! I had a holley 750 DP on my stock stroke 440 that ran great and if I still had that engine in my charger I would have never made the jump to the fi tech system I don't think. I went from the 440 to a 493 stroker and went up to a holley 850 DP and it ran good but I was never as satisfied with it like I was the 750 I had on the 440. I tried tuning it with bigger jets then bigger pump squirter's and then different pump cams and it still wouldn't rev clean from an idle. Always had a stumble I couldn't completely out of it. On the road it ran pretty good tho. I decided to try the fi tech 600 hp throttle body and the fuel command center and it works pretty good besides a few minor adjustments that could be made to improve the starting part of it but it has no stumbles and has great response and driveability. It starts good but I think it could start a little better but I haven't messed with it lately since it's running great lately. Not hating on carbs and one good thing about the fi tech system is if something fails I can bolt the carb back on it in less than 30 mins and be up and running again if necessary!!

HeavyFuel

All the talk about fuel smell.   :shruggy:

I've got the original Carter installed, and pretty much the only time I smell gas is when the air cleaner is removed and not all the time. 

Never a raw gas odor when the car is running.  I can't remember smelling like gas after driving or working on the car.   :shruggy:

66chargertoy

Hi Duncan,

Ron

Ron

Hi Ron. Just to let you know that my carb is in fact a Proform Race Series 750 vaccum secondary,https://www.proformparts.com/product-exec/product_id/871/nm/PROFORM_reg_RACE_SERIES_CARBURETOR_b_750_CFM_b_VACUUM_SECONDARY/category_id/181 . Great carb, starts up right away with a couple of pumps. Of course, need to feather it for a little while till it warms up. After it's all warmed up, starts up with no problem. I can just reach in and turn the key.
1966 440 Charger