News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Favorite tools now made in China?

Started by Cncguy, May 04, 2016, 04:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cncguy

Well I learned this week that more and more of our favorite tools including Craftsman, Irwin (Vise Grip) are made in China. They are making them cheaper but doesn't seem to make the price any lower. I ended up buying Channel lock brand pliers because they are still made in the USA, for now. I also swallowed my American pride and bought some Vise grip brand welding clamps Made in China. So what do y'all think of this?

TruckDriver

Most of all tools are not made in the usa no more sadly.

Here is a short list of tools that are

http://toolguyd.com/usa-wrenches-ratchets-sockets-brands/
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

68X426

We lost this one to China decades ago.

Just wait till we see the results of $15 min wage, let alone $16.89 in Seattle, and how that ripples thru all parts of the economy.  American Jobs just evaporate, China doesn't have to do much but wait to gobble up more.

Here come the robots - and not American robots, China robots.

:Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

I should add that I am now flipped, very cynically, to the other side - buy the cheapest tool at Harbor Freight, use once, it breaks, throw it out.  Thank god I have enough tools left from the 50s and 60s, all the new stuff is crap, so I don't have to buy too much.

Look for those estate sales guys, look for the old tools.  Be nice to your elders so you can inherit real tools. 

I cannot change the world, so I have given up trying to buy American.

:icon_smile_dissapprove:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Charger_Fan

It pisses me off, that's what I think. Ten or fifteen years ago, I used to go Craftsman tool shopping pretty often...these days, I step foot in the place maybe every 2-3 years, when I break a socket or something.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

68X426

I did buy a Stihl trimmer.  Assembled and built in America.  Foreign parts.  About as close as we get.

I do buy American if at all possible, but hand tools . . . . I can't find any of the brands listed in that link toolguyd.com.

Sorry for the downer.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

RallyeMike

QuoteLook for those estate sales guys, look for the old tools.

There have been a few in my hood lately and some great deals on full boxes or sets. Good old tools practically last forever if cared for. Most of the stuff I end up buying new I consider sacrificial.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Patronus

Im always looking for the older stuff. Rails of sockets, wrenches, etc. You know to complete the set...
You can still readily find the real nice ol SK stuff, pretty cheap too.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Mike DC

China did make the tools cheaper.  The US dollar is always inflating.  The prices of outsourced tools/etc have inflated much more slowly for the most part. 

(I'm not saying we should be all happy about it.) 

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Cncguy on May 04, 2016, 04:12:44 PM
So what do y'all think of this?

Well, not much. One of the problems is, quality always slips. So, you pay the same or less for cheap junk. Then, once they own the market, they raise the price.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

dual fours

I thought it was American Corporations outsourcing to have their products made in China, Taiwan etc. for cheaper labor rates.
Now we also have inferior products. :brickwall:
First the American worker is laid off then American Corps. expect that unemployed worker to buy it's products. :icon_smile_angry:
It pisses my off when I see Corporate management, UEMF's now, that once had a hand in keeping this County working, making and selling good products, bring this CHEAP CRAP in to this County and still ask top $ for their CRAP.  
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Drache

Tool wise I'll stick with my Mastercraft. China made but includes a lifetime warranty through Canadian Tire.

Find an old rusty wrench or socket in some parking lot, walk into CT, and 10 minutes later walk out with a brand new replacement  :2thumbs:

Remember one guy in there getting a replacement for a grinder that fell off the roof of his car and smashed on the road when he drove away with it there. Got a brand new replacement!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire