News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Guy brought me an old dodge truck to work on today...

Started by 69wannabe, March 28, 2016, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

I been talking to a guy back and forth on the phone about a 318 that's not running so good he say's. He brought it over today and when I started it up it was skipping like it had a dead cylinder so I moved it around and started to look into it. I could tell by the exhaust the miss was on the driver side so I pulled all the plugs and the plugs looked ok and not black so I decided to do a compression test on all the driver side cylinders.

Got a reading of 150 to 160 on cylinders 1,3, and 7. On cylinder #5 I got almost 210 on the gauge and after getting that reading twice it was time to pull the valve cover. Found the push rod had pushed through the rocker arm and was sticking about 2 to 3 inches out of the rocker arm.

No wonder it was running crappy, I also noticed the rocker arms were not hitting the tip of the valve where it should be and I found that the hold down's/ spacers are not in the correct place so the rocker arms are not in line with the valve. Pulled the passenger side and it was the same way!! Once I get this corrected and get it running on all 8 i'm sure there will be some more tuning to do with the 600 eddy carb and the summit distributor.

Would like to replace all the rockers but the owner is strapped for cash right now and just wants to get it up and running good so I should be able to get it up and going good anyway...

crj1968

I had a 318 that the pushrods had worked their way through the rockers like that. That one wasn't setup wrong but the rockers looked like they had a million miles on them.