News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger Best Package Tray Source

Started by 69RTSE, January 26, 2016, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RTSE

Need to buy a Package Tray for my 1969 Dodge Charger RT.  w/Rear Speakers and Defroster.  I've seen different threads from the past, but what is the definitive source for accuracy.  I see ECS, YO, etc, all have them.

Thanks.

69RTSE

Follow-Up.  I spoke with ECS today.  Apparently they have three different texture types available.  They sent a picture and I have attached it.  it appears that the one of the left is the most accurate (square-like texture).  Thoughts?

69bfan

To my knowledge, all of the package trays come from one vendor, REM.  So buy from your favorite vendor.  ECS has worked with REM on getting correct trays made up and they know there product.  REM does not sell to the public.  Another thing to keep in mind is that the rear defrost is not available from REM.  You will have to cut it out yourself, but it is not that difficult if you have your old one.  The other thing to take into consideration is the shipping charges.  Although they are not heavy, they do they require a good size box for shipping purposes.  If possible, picking one up at one of the shows will save you some dollars.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

69RTSE

Thanks much for the info.  Is the square like texture on the left side of the picture correct for a 1969 Charger.  My package tray on my charger was disintegrated and I really never paid much attention to completed cars until I needed to order.  My recollection is that texture is correct.

69bfan

The texture is actually a bit too much.  An original tray as I can best describe it would be a wider pattern and not as rough, if that makes any sense.  Depending on what are your goals, I have took original trays and used black shoe polish on them to bring back the color as the black will fade over time.  These trays do fit ok, but they are still not quite as nice as an original piece.  But then again, if you have nothing to work with, then it beats nothing.  I have sent you a message.
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.

BrianShaughnessy

I bought a REM with speaker holes.... not the smooth finish tho.   Some place on ebay had it for the best price.

It came down to price.   It's not that the tray is that expensive, the shipping kills it.    It comes in a box over 5 feet long and
a foot wide.   It still came to almost $90 shipped.

And don't forget the jute backing...  and the rear seat divider... it's it's jute backing too!

I had tried to put one on a YO order during a sale and they took the fun out of it with their shipping. 

Frankly I should have thought of it during Carlisle awhile back and bought all that there....  although... yes it would be a PITA to take it home from there also.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

comet_666

I am planning on driving my Charger to the Legendary show this summer..i'll buy mine there and put it right in!

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: comet_666 on January 27, 2016, 09:57:13 AM
I am planning on driving my Charger to the Legendary show this summer..i'll buy mine there and put it right in!

If you mean Legendary Interiors out of NY...  call first.   They don't actually stock much... if anything.
I tried to pick some things up when I was there the other week dropping off my seats,  they had nothing in stock.

comet_666

Yah them.
Wow good to know...ill order for pickup a few weeks before the show

66FBCharger

Does anyone sell the package tray with slits for one speaker? My car is coded for the rear seat speaker. I hate to buy a package tray with slits for speakers on both sides.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

69bfan

REM will custom cut the package trays for their distributors who are at a specified purchasing level.  They are non-returnable if you should have an issue with them, but they do a good job for me on any custom changes.  All that the need to know is which side do you want the speaker cutout and the direction to run the slots.

69bfan

In reading the above text, if you are needing to order items like the package tray and will need the seat divider; then order at the  same time.  I just shipped a package tray and the shipping was more than the cost of the tray.  Unfortunately, the seat divider is even larger, but combining items will reduce the shipping charges.  Also the jute as was used originally was made from materials, horse hair, that is no longer available.  The newer material is "shoddy padding".  So if you are looking for the authentic touch, you will have to very carefully attempt to remove the jute from your old pieces.

Brock Lee

Quote from: 69RTSE on January 26, 2016, 08:35:14 PM
Follow-Up.  I spoke with ECS today.  Apparently they have three different texture types available.  They sent a picture and I have attached it.  it appears that the one of the left is the most accurate (square-like texture).  Thoughts?

The left looks most accurate of the 3 in that picture.

I have bought 3 or 4 of these reproductions over the years for various Chargers..all tan. The material and color varied quite a bit.

The real ones were a Masonite like hardboard. The exposed side was the unburnished side of Masonite dyed. So it has that heavy texture. Try dying an original sometime..it will soak up two cans of dye and still be thirsty  :lol:

69RTSE

Thanks for the info.  My 69 Charger had the single rear speaker option and rear defroster.  Should the package tray have speaker slots on just one side or both.  I believe the speaker is on the driver side.

ht4spd307

2 speaker cut outs and one vent slot     1x speaker slot 4 speaker     1x speaker slot 4 defrost fan intake       1x vent slot for fan outlet

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 69bfan on January 27, 2016, 10:41:42 PM
  Also the jute as was used originally was made from materials, horse hair, that is no longer available.  The newer material is "shoddy padding".  So if you are looking for the authentic touch, you will have to very carefully attempt to remove the jute from your old pieces.

Chrysler used only the finest materials to make sure the field mice, snakes and other critters that would inhabit our cars for years had the most comfy bedding material... ;)

DixieRestoParts

Check us out for a competitive price quote. We are a dealer for REM.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price