News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oversized wheels illegal?

Started by JB400, January 19, 2016, 01:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

By law, you're supposed to have all safety equipment on the car working.  However, more than likely, this stuff gets broken, and the seller is too lazy to fix it, so they put it up for sale. 

Troy

The federal government has some control over things like safety (air bags, ABS brakes, and now backup cameras) and emissions. These mainly apply to new vehicles. Typically the states set their own regulations regarding motor vehicles. Sometimes counties and/or cities within states will also have their own rules. For example, some state require regular inspections to verify all safety equipment is present and operable. Ohio (where I live) has no regular inspections but the police may enforce "safety" violations of the law. Some parts of Ohio have emissions testing while others areas don't. Ohio is also pretty lenient about engine swaps (basically they don't care) and kit/component car licensing. California for example is much more restrictive on most things motor vehicle related (emissions mainly). In some states the safety inspections are very strict (ie no visible rust, etc.). In others they are very basic and are mostly a way to generate revenue.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

6spd68

Quote from: phantom on January 20, 2016, 10:23:52 AM

Not likely, many people do this, and alot get away with it. But if they suspect the car for having more hp than stock, they can remove your plates, and demand you to get the car dyno'd to get the plates out again.

How's it in USA? Can you for instance swap your 383 for a 572 HEMI and get away with it? I've seen several dragrace-shows form the states, where they drive Super Stock-cars on the road to and from the events. Would never work in Norway  :lol:
That's HARSH!  I'm in Canada, and for registration/DMV purposes you're good as long as you have the same # of cylinders listed on your registration.  Insurance is another story; most will run away from heavily modified cars.  So yes, you can easily get away with swapping the 383 for 572.  I did it with my T-bird, which was originally a line-4 2.3Turbo car(installed a 347 Stroker V8), and never had any problems. 

Even when an asshole in a garbage truck smashed it while it was parked, insurance didn't question the driveline change.  They did however try to write the car off as an economic loss; until I pointed out they also covered the city, and started siting conflict of interest. 
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

rt green

south dakota- no state inspection since 1978. run what you brung here.
third string oil changer

Mike DC

QuoteNot likely, many people do this, and alot get away with it. But if they suspect the car for having more hp than stock, they can remove your plates, and demand you to get the car dyno'd to get the plates out again.

How's it in USA? Can you for instance swap your 383 for a 572 HEMI and get away with it? I've seen several dragrace-shows form the states, where they drive Super Stock-cars on the road to and from the events. Would never work in Norway

The USA basically regulates the hell out of what the factories can build brand-new.  Once a car is on the road, there is not much control over what the owner has done to it.  

You must have a drivers' license, basic liability insurance on the vehicle, and the car needs basic safety equipment. (Running lights, horn, windshield glass, seatbelts, non-slick tires, etc.)  Some states inspect this stuff every year, others just give you a fine if they catch you driving without it.

Newer vehicles are becoming more heavily regulated in terms of swapping engines & emission gear.  But it's still mostly just "don't make it dirtier than the factory built it".  Nobody regulates horsepower itself here.  Not on new cars or old.  Even the factories can put as much HP as they want into anything, as long as the company's average gas mileage (across their whole vehicle fleet that year) is within bounds.