News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Polish and Wax

Started by Ghoste, December 28, 2015, 09:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Anyone here use polish on their cars?  Is that something that should be done before or after waxing?

johnnycharger

Polish before wax. Consider wax as sunblock. Polish is what brings the shine...

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on December 28, 2015, 09:48:33 PM
Anyone here use polish on their cars?  Is that something that should be done before or after waxing?

I really don't use polish on my car except if the finish is dull and that can usually be corrected with washing, claying, and then wax.  If the paint is oxidized then you may need polish to remove the oxidation before waxing.  Or you may want to remove swirl marks with polish.  Polish will remove a tiny layer of the paint so be aware of that.  Modern cars with BC/CC can stand a little polish but usually don't need it.  Single stage red used to have the reputation of the paint that oxidized fastest but BC/CC cured most of that problem I think.

If you really want the very best wax job, assuming no oxidating, (1) wash, (2) clay the car, (3) wax - but it's a butt load of work.

Edit: bet the next question is "what do yo mean by CLAY??"  See this video--

http://www.griotsgarage.com/text/content/prodinfo/videos/html/paint_clay.html

Ghoste

No I have a clay bar, my issue is swirl marks.

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Ghoste on December 28, 2015, 10:38:45 PM

You looking to hide or remove them? When I don't feel like spending hours with a polisher I wash, claybar, add sealant, and then wax over the sealant. That protects and covers up most swirl marks.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on December 28, 2015, 10:38:45 PM

I've always had a problem with swirl marks in older paint.  You spend a lot of time polishing etc and when you're finished you think "great".  Then you get the car in bright light or look at it from another angle and more swirls appear, argghh!  If you find a good method, especially one that works and is easier, please post.

Dino

There are swirl removers just for that.  Depending on the severity you may need a heavier cutting compound first but you always want to start with the least cutting as they will make the paint thinner.  Using the correct tools for the job is key, look up some of the how to's on specialized sites.  Wax is just a protector and once the paint is scratch and swirl free, that and soapy water is all you should use.  Oh and never use chrome polish on chrome.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Ghoste

I just want to hide and I'm not sure how old the paint is, but...  it's black.  :o
Yeah, the worst.  In a few years I'll get it to a righteous shade of silver but for now I'd like it pretty.

Dino

Chrome polish ruins chrome.  The only thing you need to make chrome sparkle is soap and water.  You then can use a wax to protect it.  Once you hit it wth polish you're creating tiny scratches and shorten the life of the chrome.

Ghoste there are polishes and swirl removers that work really well on black.  Sometimes when the scratches are really bad you need to sand them out and step wise wet sand up to 3000 grit beforing starting several steps of polishing.  Mothers makes a good all round compound called Ultimate Compound whihc you can try.  It's not hard cutting but takes light scratches away quite easily.  I'd still use a swirl remover afterwards though.  If you need to buy a polisher make sure it's adjustable, you want it to spin pretty slowly. 

Ghoste

Ouch, that sounds like more than I want to do right now.  My car isn't horrible; just in my eyes.  I want it as nice as it can be for three years and that's it.  Haha.  Dino, I'll make sure you see my car this summer coming.  CEMA show will be a Charger celebration.  ;)

Dino

I'd love to see your car!  I'll race you if I get the Great White back on the road this spring.  Sadly that may be a big if.

You don't have to go all out here, a hand applied swirl remover will do wonders to the paint and improve it dramatically.  An it really won't take long to do.  Wax on - wax off Daniel-san.   :lol:

Patronus

Go get yourself some Trizac (3000g), 3M's 3 step "Perfect-it" line of polishes, and a buff pad set.
Most buffing is done in 3 stages. First heavy pressure working the polish. Then lighter pressure, then remove the product with no pressure. Do this for each of the 3.
Sorry, I know this may not answer your question. Just sharing.
The swirl marks come mainly from the application. Its key to have technique. And some physical fitness.  :icon_smile_big:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Washing your car properly helps to prevent swirl marks from appearing in the first place. Also, a good polish and wax can make the paint appear like it's liquid or still wet. Depending on how much you use your car it should be waxed twice a year.

stripedelete

Your paint is single stage or base/clear?