News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mustang 2.3 liter 88 rebuild

Started by SmashingPunkFan, December 28, 2015, 03:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

Okay,  got an issue... totally rebuilt my foxbody mustang last year,  and started driving it this year. Followed all instructions, friends, Chilton, YouTube, etc.. made it past the 2000 mile recommended break in period,  and it's burning oil. Excessively. No leaks, just oil disappearing. About 1qt per 100 miles.

1988 lx 2.3 liter 4-cylinder non-turbo 5 speed manual.

The shop ground down the crank. Got 10/10 bearings (I'll be honest,  I don't understand that part) purchased black rings for it, he said he bored it for black rings.  But, had to use the molly rings that were included in the kit.

New cam.
Cam bearings.
Crank bearings.
Piston rod connecting bearings.
Rings.
Timing belt.
All gaskets.
Head bolts.
EGR delete kit.

And it's burning like mad... spark plugs have white carbon build up.
Someone said maybe pre-detonation? Maybe needed to be bored over?

Anything,  any idea would be so helpful. Thank you all
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

crj1968

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on December 28, 2015, 03:53:24 PMpurchased black rings for it, he said he bored it for black rings.  But, had to use the molly rings that were included in the kit.

Well from what you wrote this jumped out at me. He bored it for black rings (whatever that is) but used the other rings for some reason.   :shruggy:

Troy

"Keith Black" rings?

The "bore" should be the same (I'd think) but maybe the "hone" used is different?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

fizz

cast iron rings, not chrome. Theory was would wear out rings faster, bores slower, if you were at your last overbore.

SmashingPunkFan

He had just said the black rings, cast iron would seat better,  and faster. He did say he honed it for black rings, but the kit I bought came with Molly rings.  A good friend said they'd be fine, and work just the same. I honestly don't know the difference, or if they'd be okay.  I trusted him. He's a mechanic.
Projects:

skip68

Sounds like the rings aren't seating.   Have a look in your tailpipe.  It's probably oily.    :Twocents:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

67tbird

You might try The Ranger station forum they have a huge 2.3 section and some Ford tech's that know their stuff therangerstation.com you might not see oil coming out of tailpipe if you have a good catalytic converter hooked up. Dave

Baldwinvette77

SmashingPunkFan

Machine shop says they replaced valve seals. Said springs still in clearance range.
I have a stock manifold,  and about 3 ft of pipe coming off of that... no cat, it broke off years ago, and I just haven't replaced any of those parts yet.

I wondered about the rings, I tried "loading them" like Chilton suggested. Accelerate from 15mph to about 45mph full throttle 10-15 times.  This should insure proper seating of piston rings.  That's what it said... I'm so dang confused by this...
Projects:

Baldwinvette77

Well if youre 100% sure its burning it, and the seals are good, i guess rings are the only possibility, but i heard the cam bolt on the cam gear holds oil back since the cam gets filled with oil, if the cam bolt doesnt have sealer on it, its possible it can leak, but i'd guess it would be a very slow leak.

crj1968

polywideblock

have you done a compression/ leak down test it might be just one cylinder (broken ring)  :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

rt green

I remember  years ago some chevy pickups had bad oil problem like that. the fix was replacing faulty pvc valves. probably not it, but would be a simple try.
third string oil changer

SmashingPunkFan

Has new pcv valve.  And the compression test showed all cylinders ran 150+ psi by 2-3 revolutions of the engine... I'm thinking maybe an oil seal ring on the pistons? Thoughts?
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Bump.  I'm really at a loss here guys
Projects:

A383Wing

possible oil control rings collapsed or installed wrong....or the 1st or second compression rings installed upside down.....

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: A383Wing on January 07, 2016, 09:30:15 PM
possible oil control rings collapsed or installed wrong....or the 1st or second compression rings installed upside down.....

maybe even a piston is backwards? im not sure if that would cause oil consumption on this engine, but if your assuming that they screwed up the rebuild, it could be possible, depends on how they mark the pistons i guess..