News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6.1 dropped a cylinder

Started by oldcarnut, December 09, 2015, 10:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I know this is mostly old school here but this forum is the best I like and don't feel the need to join more so here goes for those up to date on modern motors. My 2010 SRT 6.1 Chally starting suddenly running rough and shut off as I left the hood for a drive.  Wouldn't stay running in park unless lotsa gas given and then sounded like it was misfiring. Stumbled and died as soon as I let off gas. Towed to Hendricks Dodge.   They call me and say its got no compression on #3 cyl and water was on the plug so they need authorization to tear down eng. ($910 for eval) ooh and warranty ran out in June this year  :flame:  Only 20K miles and it needs a tear down?  Ran fine until that instance and it hasn't been ran hard.  Anyone got any idea was this a problem with those to go down so fast like that?  Just hope the extended aftermarket warranty covers some of it.

c00nhunterjoe

Sounds like dropped a valve seat and cracked the head. The early hemis had that issue, but hadnt heard of issues with post 2007 models.

Ryan.C

Quote from: oldcarnut on December 09, 2015, 10:32:16 AM
I know this is mostly old school here but this forum is the best I like and don't feel the need to join more so here goes for those up to date on modern motors. My 2010 SRT 6.1 Chally starting suddenly running rough and shut off as I left the hood for a drive.  Wouldn't stay running in park unless lotsa gas given and then sounded like it was misfiring. Stumbled and died as soon as I let off gas. Towed to Hendricks Dodge.   They call me and say its got no compression on #3 cyl and water was on the plug so they need authorization to tear down eng. ($910 for eval) ooh and warranty ran out in June this year  :flame:  Only 20K miles and it needs a tear down?  Ran fine until that instance and it hasn't been ran hard.  Anyone got any idea was this a problem with those to go down so fast like that?  Just hope the extended aftermarket warranty covers some of it.

Having worked at a car dealership a number of years I would recomend calling Chrysler customer service and seeing if they can warranty this catastrophic engine failure. It helps your case if you have your service history. Best of luck getting this resolved.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

oldcarnut

Thanks for the info.  I was hoping the service dept would call and let me know something today but didn't hear back.  There is service records before I got it with 11k miles but I changed my own oil at least three times when the change light came up.  Even that seemed a bit much for every 3 k miles on full synthetic mobil one

oldcarnut

Was informed today its a cracked block at the water jacket.  Sounds like a block defect to me.  Now waiting on warranty rep to see who is paying for what.

myk

c00nhunterjoe

I run lucas full synthetic high zinc in my dailys, changed every 3k.
  Hope the at least do an 80/20 for you.

oldcarnut

Latest update. The extended warranty said they'd cover most of an engine replacement. They wanted to put in a rebuilt motor from who know where. Would come with a 3yr 36K mile warranty. For $700 more, if I paid for it, I could have a new dodge motor with 5yr 50K miles. It was a no brainer so I bought the new one. Waiting on it to come in now. Its a third revision 6.1 whatever that involves. After talking with the SRT Dodge division, it looks like they won't cover the difference but I ain't done with them yet. Here's some pics of the block.   Sure looks like excessive build up on the pistons for low mileage (oil burnage  :shruggy:.)

birdsandbees

The whole deal sucks David, but at least it's looking like a pretty good outcome for you. They just don't build'm like they use to!  :-\
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

oldcarnut

For some reason I thought those blocks were alum.  Just never really was up on this new stuff.  I'm just puzzled as to what the service guy meant when he said it would be the 3rd revision 6.1 like in the new ones but those are 392's and none have a 6.1.   On that note I would have thought a steel block would have been stronger than that.

c00nhunterjoe

oldcarnut

I went there today but the mech had the day off.  My car was there sitting with the hood unlatched so I took the pics and gonna try to see him tomorrow.  If so I'll post what he was referring too.

oldcarnut

By the time I was able to get hold of the mechanic, He had already started putting the new motor in and crated the old one.  Said the crack was barely visible and I was lucky the replacement was covered partially because the back tires were worn  ::) for 20K miles so he took pictures for records and wouldn't offer full replacement on new motor.  SRT division said because I was the second owner and it was a few months outa warranty it didn't meet their parameters for help. Really shows me how much they back their engines and makes me think twice about ever buying another

c00nhunterjoe

Sounds to me like that engine is going in someones personal vehicle...... uneven tire wear does not denote warrenty adjusments. Pcm programming does.

oldcarnut

Well good news for a change.  The car is back home with a new 6-1 Mopar long block and I had to pay zero.  The SRT division and dealership split the difference between the rebuilt and the new motor I went with so kudos to Rick Hendrick on Rivers ave. and Dodge SRT group.  Took a little persistence from me but it worked out.  Got to take it back in two weeks for the electronic module that lets the push button start work and it's covered by the extended warranty too.  Other than noticing 9mpg  :eek2: instead of 15mpg now on initial drive home it's looking up for a change.  Hope that's just the motor breaking in.

c00nhunterjoe

birdsandbees

GREAT Christmas news David !!!  :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487