News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TTI headers hit starter

Started by mantoneshyn, December 14, 2015, 10:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantoneshyn

So I did all the calling around and digging before I bought headers for my 440. I came to the conclusion TTI makes the best fit and finish. I called TTI and they told me what I needed. Got the 2" headers and since I have the 11" flywheel I needed the robbmc starter. Well I get all this stuff bolted up and guess what? The headers hit the starter. I'm not impressed with TTI,for the money a guy lays down for these things they should fit.  Especially when they tell you that you HAVE to use the robbmc starter. I can get them to bolt up and I can get the starter to bolt up, but they just touch the edge of the starter towards the front of the engine. Any ideas?? Should I try to bend the headers down using a strap on the collector and pull down? I really don't want to have to pull the engine again to fix this header. Or should I leave it how it is? I'm guessing it will hear soak the starter so much and cook it too.
1968 Charger, black on black. Restomod in progress.

justcruisin

Sounds like the contact is just a touch if you can get everything to bolt up. It needs to clear, without seeing a pic my first move would be to see if using a thicker header gasket like the percey's would space the pipes out enough to clear. As far as heat soak goes, coated headers greatly helps in this department, I use the mopar starter and I have wrapped it - no problems, and the mopar starters can suffer from heat soak.

c00nhunterjoe

Pretty sure the cliff notes say you cant run the large clutch.

timmycharger

Im running the 2 inch TTI headers with a Lakewood housing and 11 inch clutch. I read about the Robmc starter too, but I ended up trying several mini starters until I found one that just about fit. I ended up with a 1990s Dakota starter (Denso) and the only place the starter touches is one of the screw heads that hold it together. I had to slightly shave one side of that head. Its very tight still but my headers are ceramic coated and give off less radiant heat.   I tried bending them cold with a big pry bar but they would always go back to the same place, maybe I didn't pry hard enough?  I thought of trying to rig a ratchet strap to something, but never tried it.

Hope you don't have to pull the motor, good luck! :2thumbs:

myk

You really can't blame TTi, or any other maker for that matter.  Production tolerances and standards were s**t back when these cars were made.  Add 40+ years of wear and tear and there's no telling where the alignments or measurements of any two Charger's would be, even if they were built at the same time at the same plant in 1969.

When it comes to aftermarket modifications on older cars, there's no guarantee to anything; you just have to experiment and try to find what works.  You'll find the right starter, just keep at it...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

mantoneshyn

Quote from: justcruisin on December 14, 2015, 04:05:30 PM
Sounds like the contact is just a touch if you can get everything to bolt up. It needs to clear, without seeing a pic my first move would be to see if using a thicker header gasket like the percey's would space the pipes out enough to clear. As far as heat soak goes, coated headers greatly helps in this department, I use the mopar starter and I have wrapped it - no problems, and the mopar starters can suffer from heat soak.

I see what your saying about a thicker gasket. But my headers are touching the underside of the starter. So the header needs to drop about an 1/8 of an inch to clear. Also they are ceramic coated headers so maybe that will help for heat soaking as well.

mantoneshyn

Quote from: timmycharger on December 14, 2015, 09:18:34 PM
Im running the 2 inch TTI headers with a Lakewood housing and 11 inch clutch. I read about the Robmc starter too, but I ended up trying several mini starters until I found one that just about fit. I ended up with a 1990s Dakota starter (Denso) and the only place the starter touches is one of the screw heads that hold it together. I had to slightly shave one side of that head. Its very tight still but my headers are ceramic coated and give off less radiant heat.   I tried bending them cold with a big pry bar but they would always go back to the same place, maybe I didn't pry hard enough?  I thought of trying to rig a ratchet strap to something, but never tried it.

Hope you don't have to pull the motor, good luck! :2thumbs:

Hmmm. I'll have to look into another starter. This one just needs to be about an inch shorter and it would work. The header is hitting it just on the very end of the starter on the underside of the starter. Towards the front of the car. Number 5 cylinder tube is the culprit. I'm just worried about shearing off a header bolt in the heads by pulling on the headers to bend them down a bit.

mantoneshyn

I called TTI today and spoke to a tech. I told him my setup and he was astonished that it didn't work with the robbmc starter. He says he is going to bolt up a set of what I have to see the clearance issue. Still waiting for a call back. But he said that is should work no problem with a robbmc starter. Maybe I'm the first one they had with it not fitting up.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: mantoneshyn on December 15, 2015, 02:38:16 AM
I called TTI today and spoke to a tech. I told him my setup and he was astonished that it didn't work with the robbmc starter. He says he is going to bolt up a set of what I have to see the clearance issue. Still waiting for a call back. But he said that is should work no problem with a robbmc starter. Maybe I'm the first one they had with it not fitting up.

Thats what they always say.

mantoneshyn

Got a call back today and TTI says that I am correct. The RobbMc 3005 starter does not fit. Their website and tech guys were wrong. Apparently Robbmc went to a larger starter from the previous 2005 model number. So I called Robbmc and they did go to a larger body starter..... 7 years ago!!!! Like WTF TTI??? Should I be getting any kind of exchange or refund or what? Robbmc told me they don't have the old style bodies anymore either.

fy469rtse

Yep I had the same issue
Denso or Bosch starter, mid 90's ram 360 engine , cheap everyday , rockauto.com
Then if you do wear one out with heat soak , cheap to replace

timmycharger

Here is a pic of how close the starter is on mine.