News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you keep a journal or notebook on your car?

Started by Kern Dog, December 10, 2015, 11:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I've been keeping notebooks on cars since the late 80s. I write down the easy tips, the tasks that suck, all maintenance stuff. Rarely do I list the prices though!
I also try to record the mileage of the car at the time of repair. I try to list part numbers but I sometimes I forget to do it. These records sure help support my memory and keep me from repeating mistakes. Also, it helps for things where I have deviated from stock. With all the changes I'm doing lately with the new guages and dash wiring, I need to document what I have rerouted.

Dino

Not for everything I do but I do keep certain things such as the custom wiring schematics.  Sooner or later I'm bound to forget what the heck I did to this car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Brock Lee

I keep one of those accordion looking file folders locked in a safe. It contains the title, receipts, old papers found in the car, extra keys, notes for things done, etc. I am about to bump the Charger up to two folders. But everything is together. No hunting any of those small items and papers down.

six-tee-nine

Hah, funny enough, I do for my daily drivers, but not for my classics.

for the daily's I just use a simple word file in wich I add what I did to the car / what parts I replaced and the actual mileage.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

myk

Keeping track of what we do with our machines is important.  Without it you end up doing the 2 year long oil change interval like I did with my Mustang... :smilielol: ::)

Ghoste

I keep a file with notes and receipts and so forth.

b5blue

This year I pitched a box full receipts going back 20 years. Oil and wiper blades from 1996, what was I thinking!  :lol: I do have important stuff saved but very little now. I keep a small note book in the car to jot down info at all times though.  :2thumbs: 

wingcar

I use to keep a small journal in the glove box to record fill ups, oil changes, tune-ups and part purchases.  For my first couple of cars the details were spot on almost down to the last penny....but with each new car the journal thing became secondary to the point where today I don't even do one.  I do however keep track of any parts I purchase for the project cars.   On my latest project Charger I started to add up the receipts for all the parts I have purchased for it a while back.....I stopped as I never realized how much I had spent so far.....I got to thinking that I am one of the reasons many of the aftermarket suppliers (such as Year One, etc.) are doing so well.   Do yourself a favor and don't start adding up all your receipts...you may be surprised at the bottom line number (this is really true if you have been buying parts for a few years, as you will not realize the overall cost)...LOL
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

John_Kunkel

I keep a journal in each car listing maintenance and major component replacement dates.

Each car also has a folder that lists records like purchase date, parts, costs, etc. Periodically I add up the costs column and then breathe deeply to steady my heart rate.  :eek2:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

polywideblock

I keep one of those plastic  sealable "documents" folders that are about 1/2 inch thick  with all the receipts for parts /work done  ,import approval/customs papers etc. 

one for each car all safely stored  :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

RallyeMike

I keep a log on the race car with various setups on timing, tire pressure, carb settings, fuel use, spark plug readings, alignment settings, and observed max temperatures of oil and water. The others..... nope.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

keepat

I also keep a book with documents, measurements and details of each car I build. But I have to say one of the best ways to save and document the building is with a start to finish thread. It turns out to be a great source of information and allows you to go back to see how something came apart and would go back together when you take the time to post the pictures and the details. It is also a great way to market the car after the build. You can share that link with potential buyers and they can see the attention to detail throughout your build.
Pat

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Nwcharger

A few years back I went to the picknpull to get some parts to fix a friends car an seen a 67 Monaco 500 2 door that had not hit the yard yet. I ended up buying the whole car and towed it home. Started going threw the inside and found a little note pad in the glove box. It was the original owners maintenance records, it had everything ever done to the car written in it starting at its first oil change and he noted mileage every time. The car was only missing a battery. I don't know why it ended up at the junkyard. 100% rust free and was almost straight as an arrow. I'm glad I saved it.
1969 coronet wagon

XS29L

No journal but I've saved all of my time slips from the drags.   :drive:
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Kern Dog

Quote from: Nwcharger on December 12, 2015, 01:01:04 PM
A few years back I went to the picknpull to get some parts to fix a friends car an seen a 67 Monaco 500 2 door that had not hit the yard yet. I ended up buying the whole car and towed it home. Started going threw the inside and found a little note pad in the glove box. It was the original owners maintenance records, it had everything ever done to the car written in it starting at its first oil change and he noted mileage every time. The car was only missing a battery. I don't know why it ended up at the junkyard. 100% rust free and was almost straight as an arrow. I'm glad I saved it.

Your timing was great on that one. I have seen this situation many times. I've seen clusters of similar cars arrive at the yards all at once as well. My assumption is that the owners of these cars probably dies and the estate/kids/wife/relatives have zero interest in the cars or what they are worth to people. They just want the "junk" cleared out.
We all need to be CLEAR to our family what we want for our cars once we check out.

HeavyFuel

A spiral notebook (remember those?) stores the tune-up notes and things like the 47 1/2 different distributor and carb settings that I've tried.  Also per year mileage and maintenance performed since the restoration was completed.

I also have every receipt and any other piece of documentation that was involved in the restoration.

Kern Dog

I have kept notebooks for many reasons. I often refer back to them to remind me of when I installed something, what troubles I had with installation, etc. I've learned a lot with parts interchange just by trying things on my own. Like mentioned above, it also serves as a log for what combinations worked and what did not.