News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Possible project - 71

Started by Watson16, December 14, 2015, 02:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watson16

Hello all,

Am not a Mopar guy, but have been itching to dig in on a Mopar project for years. A neighbor is selling a 1971 383 2bbl (I'm told matching numbers) for $6,200. The car needs all new glass, new exhaust, new wheels/tires, new wiper motor, new alternator and a few other minor items. Runs and drives. Body is clean. Very little rust. Factory paint (blue) and vinyl top are decent. Interior is good. Suspension is good. Electrical is in good shape. New front disc brakes in the past few years. Factory AC, AM radio, and power steering. Automatic. Motor is ok, but may need overhaul in the future. Clean title. Car has been in CT for 5 years, but previously a GA car. That is all the info I have.

Just wanted to hear thoughts on the pros / cons of the 71 model year and what you think the car might be worth. Is this a project worth taking on at this price? Thanks in advance.

Best,
Ed

6spd68

Hi Ed,
  That doesn't sound too bad; from what you've described, you're likely looking at putting at least 10K into it(maybe a little more if you go for a high end paint job).  If that's worth it to you at the end of the day, and you'll enjoy the car; I'd say go for it.  If however you're planning on building it to sell, I'd advise against it.  From what I've seen, base 3rd Gens don't typically sell north of 20K, and usually hover around 18 top end.  (Sure there are some 30K examples, but they're 440 cars, and are they selling for that?)  :shruggy:

I'd say the car sounds pretty right for the price.  If the guy will take 5500, you've got some serious consideration.  :scratchchin:

You may want to check this thread to guide your decision:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120319.0.html
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Watson16

Thread and your response were very helpful. Thanks so much. $10k sounds about right. There should be some wiggle room on price.

I'm going to read more about 3rd gens and make a decision. Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Best,
Ed

polywideblock

hardest part with 3rd gens is finding panels  :Twocents: if its rust free or close to it  you've got a head start  :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE