News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car is running too cold... How to adjust timing?

Started by euroZ06, November 25, 2015, 02:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

Hello,

In the summer during hot times and traffics my car was running a little hot, so the guy adjusting my car made it run a little cooler using timing. Now its getting cold in germany, and my car is not getting up to working temp. I know that i need a bigger fan or an electric one, but that will be for a summer project.

Please advise what i need to stick and where and which direction to turn it... Lol

Thank you!
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

XH29N0G

When you say not getting up to working temperature, what temperature do you think it is reaching?  I ask because I am wondering about the thermostat.  What was the temperature that was too hot in the summer?  I do not know if I can answer this, but I can guess that  information about specific temperatures will be useful for whoever knows the answer.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

Advancing timing would make it run hotter, but timing needs to be set where it belongs and not in relation to operating temps.  Not knowing your engine specs I can't tell you where your timing should be, but you can hook up a vacuum gauge and adjust timing to get the best reading. 

For cooling check the thermostat as stated and see what temp you're getting now.  Either hook up an aftermarket gauge or hit the top of the radiator with an infrared thermometer.  The stock gauge is as reliable as mud.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Yeah I'm thinking thermostat also.  My car was running too hot, but now with a 160* thermostat the car is running too cold.  Timing will affect temperatures also but whenever there's a cooling system question check the cooling system frst...