News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil pressure gauge 68 Charger

Started by Mr.Sixpack, November 18, 2015, 03:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Sixpack

Hi.

I bought a 68 Charger R/T and I'm on my way to break in the cam.
And as soon as the engine starts the oil gauge moves of the scale.
So I have changed the springs in the pump twice to softer ones, I have changed sending units 3 times.
I have even chafed the oil filter, but to it is still bottoming the scale.

So I searched my stash for hours and finally found a mechanical gauge.

And with cold engine and Joe Gibbs break in oil I have 75 lbs oil pressure.

So now to my question what could be the problem with the oil pressure gauge, and the fuel gauge reads full with just 2 gallons of fuel.

All gauges worked great when I parked the car 2 years ago.

It is a 440 Charger R/T.

Mytur Binsdirti

Put in a temporary mechanical gauge & see what the pressure really is and then go from there.

Mr.Sixpack

Idid put mechanical one on and it reads 75 lbs at idle with cold oil and it's the thick Joe Gibbs break in oil.

So the break in is no problems.

But I want to know what could be wrong with oil gauge and fuel gauge.

Thanks  :cheers:

daveco

R/Tree

Mr.Sixpack

Quote from: daveco on November 18, 2015, 04:14:38 PM
Point type voltage regulator for the gauges may be sticking.

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical2.html

I thought of that but I was not sure, I will check the electro mechanical regulator.

rt_bigblock

Seen this one plenty of times, Either a bad earth on your dash or the reg unit on the back of the dash , unit has failed from the bad earth and the regulator has burnt, but all old wiring including your bulk head connector are all, issues,
but 70 psi oil pressure is good for a good new pump ,we always  use mech gauges with stock unless you are doing a concourse effort. Good luck Greg

Mr.Sixpack