News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to sell a car on ebay

Started by 66FBCharger, November 02, 2015, 01:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I am planning on listing my 66 Charger on ebay in the next few weeks. I listed it years ago and the problem was, there was only one person who was bidding on the car so the car never got to the reserve. I negotiated with the person dropping the price but she backed out when she couldn't get the money out of her 401k.
Anyway, I am looking for feedback on the two ways I was thinking of setting the auction up.
1. I was planning to have a no reserve auction and have the first bid be the price I want.
2. My buddy said that was not good. He said better to have a reserve and start bidding at $200 to get people interested.
My concern is I don't believe there is very much demand for a '66 Charger. Its not like a '69 Charger that everyone would be fighting over.
My reserve will be low. i don't have a final number yet, but it will be less than $4000.
It is a '66 383 4 bbl. Auto., running, driving. Lots of new parts. rebuilt engine. Needs body and interior work. I'm thinking it would be a great car for a younger Mopar enthusiast that wants a big block car that can be driven and enjoyed and can be fixed up a little at a time.

Let me know what you think.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

crj1968

I've sold a few cars on ebay.  It's a strange thing sometimes and it can all be about lucky timing.

Your friend is right- having a high start price wont get a lot of attention. Better to start low as a lot of people will bid hoping to get a good deal....and the more bids the more interest it will get.

First thing is to check other listings for same car 66-67 Charger, and try to list it when there is not a lot of competition or list it while there is bidding on a more expensive one.  The losers on that one may jump over to yours.

Oh one more thing be totally honest about every little thing you can think of. People are wary of 40+ year old cars that sellers don't say much about.

add lots of pictures and lots of info.

Good luck !

Mytur Binsdirti

birdsandbees

Yep, I click everyone of those Smokey Mountain ads just to see what she's wearing this week. Would I buy a car there, probably not.

Take detailed pictures, lie about nothing and roll the dice. Set yourself a reserve that you can live with and start at $9.99. You can always change the reserve as things start to peter out, or do like everyone else does... find a price, end the auction and sell direct outside Ebay.

Just remember, as soon as you list it the car will be catalogued here and picked to pieces!!  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

lukedukem

Will the car be listed here as well?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 02, 2015, 08:17:28 PM
Presentation is everything.

Is she supposed to distract us from the bent grille molding?   :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

birdsandbees

That's just camera illusion, similar to the size of her breasts!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

66FBCharger

Quote from: lukedukem on November 02, 2015, 09:03:24 PM
Will the car be listed here as well?

Luke
I haven't decided whether to list it on dc.com yet. The last time I got some responses from people that obviously didn't read the ad or look at the pictures. I don't think those people were dc.com members.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

66FBCharger

Where do I get a girl like that to stand by my car?
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 02, 2015, 08:17:28 PM
Presentation is everything.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 02, 2015, 09:44:33 PM
That's just camera illusion, similar to the size of her breasts!

I would tend to believe surgical enhancement and a push-up bra has everything to do with size of her lovelies rather than camera illusion..

On the other hand, this is not a good presentation...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-/291606561826?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43e51b0422:g:2LkAAOSwwbdWOCBq&item=291606561826

GOTWING

start bidding at $200 and set a reserve, start listing on a Friday night. Also go in your settings and block anyone with zero feedback. trust me on this, these scumbags will bid on your car and they just joined ebay that day . :flame:

DixieRestoParts

I think one of the key things is lots of pics. Especially, where there are know trouble areas either on your particular car, or where those cars are know to have issues. Show all the different parts of the car you can in pics, and write a good description. You don't have to be super critical of the bad stuff, just acknowledge it and move on. Talk about the good stuff on the car.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on November 07, 2015, 11:33:12 AM
I think one of the key things is lots of pics. Especially, where there are know trouble areas either on your particular car, or where those cars are know to have issues. Show all the different parts of the car you can in pics, and write a good description. You don't have to be super critical of the bad stuff, just acknowledge it and move on. Talk about the good stuff on the car.

I agree, I like the listings that end Sunday night around 9:30 Eastern Time...so either run a 10 day auction starting Thursday or a 7 day starting Sunday night. I think to answer your question either way could work. A Buy It Now or one with a low starting price and a reserve....I view ebay as a good method to get your car on the market...maybe it will sell after the auction is completed. At any rate you could try one method and if it doesn't sell try another...a good car priced fairly should only take up to a month to sell a good friend told me...ebay is one avenue but there are other options on the internet that are free that you can gauge interest with. Personally two weeks on Mopar boards and then two ebay auctions would be the way I would go.

Dave 
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Nwcharger

Make sure to put a reserve and don't be like this guy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/dodge-charger-R-T-1969-/121807093415?redirect=mobile&nma=true&si=JE0IuH0c%252BPq6%252FAR6MV8HS07w4C8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I won this last night for 4k and was stoked until he sent an email saying he's not selling for that cheap. Wtf is that
1969 coronet wagon

6spd68

Quote from: Nwcharger on November 08, 2015, 12:04:38 PM
Make sure to put a reserve and don't be like this guy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/dodge-charger-R-T-1969-/121807093415?redirect=mobile&nma=true&si=JE0IuH0c%252BPq6%252FAR6MV8HS07w4C8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I won this last night for 4k and was stoked until he sent an email saying he's not selling for that cheap. Wtf is that

Quote from add:
This is a matching numbers car, except for the motor and transmission.

Looks like you were doomed from the start, my friend...
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Kern Dog

How the hell can someone legally back out of a sale? The winning bid should be honored if it is at or above the reserve. The seller does seem like a toothless hick anyway. No telling what bullshit shortcuts are lurking in the work they have perpetrated.

Nwcharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 10, 2015, 08:52:23 PM
How the hell can someone legally back out of a sale? The winning bid should be honored if it is at or above the reserve. The seller does seem like a toothless hick anyway. No telling what bullshit shortcuts are lurking in the work they have perpetrated.

Trust me I was pissed when he emailed me saying there's no way he's going to sell the car for 4k even tho he had no reserve. I told him it was a legal sale but he didn't seem to care. At that point all I can do I tell eBay and they would just kick off eBay. Then he can create another account like its nothing. He messed up by not putting a reserve on the car and for not posting it in the car section so it didn't get many views. I just said screw it. I have to much going on in my life right now to deal with some idiot on eBay
1969 coronet wagon

Chargen69

there is no way on earth i would list  car on ebay, how many stories of non paying bidders do you here about?
the last car i sold was on autotraderclassic.com  (actually it was their site before that url)
i think it was $75 for an ad in the print adds locally and an online ad that would stay up until the car sold.  I dont know what they are doing nowadays, but I would be finding out if I ever need to sell a car again.

crj1968

Ebay has the advantage of getting out to the largest audience, and the disadvantage of getting out to the largest audience.

Fortunately I've had no issues with car sales on ebay.
I've also used cars-on-line.com which has been good, but may take a little longer.....

Chargen69

I have sold a bunch of parts on ebay, and I agree the online ads take longer, but I cant stomach ebay for much more than parts

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 02, 2015, 08:40:15 PM
Yep, I click everyone of those Smokey Mountain ads just to see what she's wearing this week. Would I buy a car there, probably not.

Take detailed pictures, lie about nothing and roll the dice. Set yourself a reserve that you can live with and start at $9.99. You can always change the reserve as things start to peter out, or do like everyone else does... find a price, end the auction and sell direct outside Ebay.

Just remember, as soon as you list it the car will be catalogued here and picked to pieces!!  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

heh, my car was not picked to pieces I don't get it.... :scratchchin:

Brock Lee

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 10, 2015, 08:52:23 PM
How the hell can someone legally back out of a sale? The winning bid should be honored if it is at or above the reserve.

I agree. But it happens all the time. Not just on eBay either. It happens in real world auctions more often than you can imagine. I used to see it happen 30 years ago at my fathers auto auctions. In NYC it was so bad that he had to adopt a policy of holding and transferring the cars titles to the new owners. It was somewhat common someone wasn't thrilled with what their car brought, so they would wait for the driver to drive it off the block, hop in and go home.