News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is this a suregrip? *PIC ADDED

Started by r4daytona, November 04, 2015, 01:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

the case is a 742 obviously, but can anyone tell me if this is a sure grip by the numbers below it?  I'm not that familiar with part numbers so I thought I'd ask.  This and several others are sitting at a location near me.  I haven't tried to turn one side of the axle to see if the other spins the opposite way.  This guy has a pile of axles and I spotted this so I took a picture and thought I's ask you guys.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

6bblgt

if the rear axle is intact, there is no external indication that the axle has a sure-grip installed, short of turning one axle

the casting numbers on a center section don't know what gear resides inside or its status as a sure-grip or not.

Just 6T9 CHGR

On the 489 case the fill plug would be painted orange to denote a Sure-Grip no?

Not sure if its the same for the 742 ('68 & older) case....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

skip68

Turn one axle, watch the other side, if it turns the same direction it's a sure grip.  If they turn opposite directions it's not.    :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

A383Wing

is there a sure-grip tag on one of the carrier nuts?

Stegs

r4daytona

Sorry, thought they sent.  Here's two different ones.  Can't turn the hubs because this pile of axles has been sitting outside.

Ghoste

Definitely 742 castings but the pig is going to have to come out to know for sure if either has a limited slip in there.

r4daytona

there is a tag on one of the bolts but it's rusted and can't be read.

Ghoste

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 04, 2015, 06:00:45 PM

I thought they had a white circle with an x in it, painted on it?

Quote from: r4daytona on November 06, 2015, 09:21:34 AM
there is a tag on one of the bolts but it's rusted and can't be read.

As Ghoste states, I believe those tags are only for the ratio.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

The few searches I did were lots of all sorts of info.. such as:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=9295.0

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 04, 2015, 06:00:45 PM

This supports the orange plug but after jan 1970
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.