News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb for a 470" stroker

Started by scott1973, October 09, 2015, 12:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott1973

I am looking for some carb advise for a 73 Charger.  I have a 470" stroker with a Comp Cams XE285HL-10 cam.  It's got 10.5:1, Edelbrock RPM heads with a little work, Performer RPM intake, TTI 1 7/8 headers, Comp rockers, etc.  This is for a street car and with 9 1/2" Dynamick converter.   I understand the formula is RPM x C.I divided by 3456.  I'm getting mixed reviews on choosing vacuum or mechanical secondaries.  Seems like a VS carb is more inline with my build, but I've been advised both a Street HP 750 VS and Quick Fuel SS-830 with mechanical.   Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

c00nhunterjoe

On that build i would run an 850 cfm unit. The choice of secondary function for me would depend on the gear going along with that 9 1/2" converter. Im guessing 3500-4000 as a flash point on it with the torque you should put down. If you are running a 4.10 or better gear, mechanical secondary. 3.91 or down, vacuum

BSB67

Quote from: scott1973 on October 09, 2015, 12:48:42 PM
I am looking for some carb advise for a 73 Charger.  I have a 470" stroker with a Comp Cams XE285HL-10 cam.  It's got 10.5:1, Edelbrock RPM heads with a little work, Performer RPM intake, TTI 1 7/8 headers, Comp rockers, etc.  This is for a street car and with 9 1/2" Dynamick converter.   I understand the formula is RPM x C.I divided by 3456.  I'm getting mixed reviews on choosing vacuum or mechanical secondaries.  Seems like a VS carb is more inline with my build, but I've been advised both a Street HP 750 VS and Quick Fuel SS-830 with mechanical.   Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

My first choice would be a small venturi 950, followed by a 850.  Both DPs without a doubt.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

scott1973

Thank you both for the feedback.  I went with a Quick Fuel SS830 DP.  We'll see how it works...

Thanks,
Scott

XH29N0G

The SS-830 has a smaller primary venturi and large secondary like the 850 and is very tunable. The choke is also nice.  I found an A/F gauge useful for working through the tuning.

I didn't pipe in to the earlier conversation because the others responding know much more than me and your set up is slightly different than mine (3.9 stroke 383 with a slightly smaller cam).  
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

scott1973

Thanks for the reply.  I guarantee everyone here knows more about this than me.  I'm kinda winging it.  It's been a very slow and expensive process, but I'll get there some day.

Thanks,
Scott

BSB67

Quote from: scott1973 on October 11, 2015, 04:31:13 PM
Thank you both for the feedback.  I went with a Quick Fuel SS830 DP.  We'll see how it works...

Thanks,
Scott

I have not used this one, but on paper, this sounds like a good choice.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

XH29N0G

Any thoughts on contacting quick fuel tech for recommendations on starting points for jets, bleeds, IIFR, etc on his combination?  My inclination would be to try, but I don't know.

By the way, I am also happy to send along how my ss-830 was set up by the folks who built my engine, but I think your engine could have different demands.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

scott1973

Good idea.  I may give them a call Monday to see what they recommend.  I did talk to them last week and apparently they are behind in production due to a shortage of parts.  Probably on the slow boat from China.   Mine was suppose to be built Friday and ships Monday. 

Thanks,
Scott

68charger440

I'm running a Proform 850 with mech secondaries that Ron recommended on a real mild 500" stroker. I settled in on 72 primary and 74 secondary jetting and the a/f readings are sitting in the low to mid 13 range.  I am at mid 5000 foot altitude though.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

justcruisin

My experience with the QF830 is that it is rich OOTB. I came down from 78 to 72 in the front, went down two jet sizes in the IFR's, swapped out the rear 50cc pump and cam for a 30cc with pink cam. This is with a 448ci and xe275hl but otherwise same as yours. With the xe285hl your requirements will be different. Run it as delivered and see what you have. Interested to know what idle vacuum you get with that cam, my guess is around 10" at 900rpm. Carb is plenty big enough on my engine with a WOT vacuum test.

scott1973

Thank you everyone for your input.  It will be a while before we get it running as I'm pretty busy with work and kids stuff.  I'll keep you posted on how the carb works out.