News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 question

Started by don duick, October 10, 2015, 02:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don duick

I have a 727 that has built for 500 HP with a shift kit. So I have been told. I usually drive it manually. It is NOT a reverse pattern. When I put it in drive it will change to top gear very quickly. It will stay in 1st for a about 5 seconds, 2nd gear for about 2 seconds then top gear. The kick down linkage is hooked up correctly but does  not work. My question is will I damage the transmission if I remove the kickdown linkage. The 2 reasons I want to remove it is because it gets in the way of my shifter cable and makes my accelerator pedal harder to push 

cdr

you have to keep it, & BPE make a very nice cable conversion for that.   :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

The amount of time it stays in gear before shifting is less important than the amount of throttle being used and the road speed at which it shifts. Engine and gear ratio determine what shift speeds are normal, for example a 440HP at light throttle with 3.23 gears might upshift from 1-2 at 6-11 mph and upshift from 2-3 at 12-15 mph.

Even though most performance-type guys like the trans to shift a little later, your trans might be operating normally. If you want it to shift later merely lengthen the linkage by threading out the top link.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

don duick

303 Mopar

If you want to ditch the kickdown/throttle set up, check out the Lokar throttle and kickdown cables. Summit and other vendors have them.  Easy to install and allow you to set mph for shifting.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Ghoste

And as an answer to another part of your question, yes, if you operate your transmission without a kickdown, be it mechanical or cable, you will damage it.  Manual reverse valve bodys are an exception.

don duick

oops I discovered my kickdown linkage at the bottom fell off. :slap: thanks for replies